Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   My 10gal Fish Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-10gal-fish-tank-26915/)

LouzZ 08-05-2009 09:09 PM

My 10gal Fish Tank

Hey guys,
Im new around here and this is my first post. I was just kind of introducing me and my 10gal Fish Tank.
i have 5 Tiger Barbs 1 Bala Shark 1 Rainbow Shark 2 ID Sharks 1 Pleco and 2 Angels. Im planning to buy a 50gal
water tank next week, but i kinda see this fellas small =/ I dont know, any suggestions? They're about 4 weeks old
with me.
Hope somebody suggests something :)

master robbo 08-06-2009 02:27 AM

wow how do they get along you seemed to be overstocked but with the 50 g will be fine

you must have a good filtration system

also how big is your pleco couse they grow to a foot

cheers :):):):):):):):):)

Amphitrite 08-06-2009 04:25 AM

I'd be very careful about keeping tiger barbs with angels - you may find the barbs start harassing the angel fish and nipping at their fins, so watch out for that.

What sort of pleco is it you have?

LouzZ 08-06-2009 05:12 AM

My Pleco is about 3 or 4 inches i think and he is a brown one, no idea which class.
Soon I'll upload a picture of the tanks so you can see it =)
thanks for the suggestion/comments
anyone has anymore?

JohnnyD44 08-06-2009 06:27 AM

Hello and Welcome!!

Like the other said, barbs can get nippy and will stress out your angel fish. Even with a 50G....4 sharks may be asking for problems, I have never kept sharks, although I am looking to soon. You may want to consider re-homing 2 of the sharks when you upgrade. Try and get us a picture of the pleco

Have you thought out any other fish stocking for your 50G? Again, welcome!

LouzZ 08-06-2009 07:58 AM

Ok, Tiger Barbs seems to get along with the Angels for some reaseon =/ They haven't chased each other since I bought Angels. (strange thing) My Pleco's about 4 inches, im trying to find a camera to take a snap out of him because iPhone's camera isn't good in pixels... I was trying to get a camera and take a video of it so you can see it in action.

One problem I had today when I waked up was, that 1 of my ID Sharks had 1 eye red and now has none antennas or moustache(whatever it is) by his mouth, also he has his mouth somelike scratched and he's trying to escape the tank, would that be that he fight with anyone? im gonna look for the camera to snap him too. If anyone has an idea of what I'm saying, please suggest me what to do.

And to Johnny: if I stock any new fish I'm gonna stock or some Tiger Barbs for better schooling, more Angels or maybe a Loach or 2 (if they get along my Tiger Barbs) I think they'll do because my neighboor has 2 Tiger Barbs, 1 Rainbow Shark, 1 Pleco(about 6-8inches), 1 Goggy and 1 Loach and they kinda take along, the only problem was a Shrimp eating all the fishes xD but he taked the shrimp away. (was a big one though) =)

Byron 08-06-2009 10:30 AM

LouzZ, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to start off being very direct, but you are really asking for trouble and it will come. The reason your barbs and angels "get along" (as you see it) is because they are stressed out terribly and probably in very bad health. A 10g is far too small for either fish, and when fish are in a small environment they usually act very different to how they would naturally behave. Sometimes this comes out as increased aggression (usually from fish that would otherwise show none) and sometimes by being so placid when their natural behaviour is the opposite. The fish are literally in shock. And this is causing them internal problems that I will not go into at this point.

In a 50g things may change and the tiger barbs may show their true colours, and in a short time the angels will be stressed to the point of death. Unless the tiger barbs are so far gone now that they can't return to "normal' and die themselves. Do not mix barbs and angels.

The problem with the shark is related to the crowding and aggressiveness of the fish (sharks are territorial, need space, and will be agressive with each other). I'm not surprised it is trying to escape the tank. I suspect most of the fish in your tank would like to escape.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but you asked for our assistance and previous members have made suggestions which you don't appear to be taking seriously from your response. Some of us have gone through these problems ourselves so we know of what we speak.

JohnnyD44 08-06-2009 10:37 AM

+1 Byron

jeaninel 08-06-2009 11:57 AM

Your Bala and ID sharks will outgrow even a 50 gallon. And eventually the pleco may also, depending on what species it is.

ID sharks (Pangasius catfish), in my opinion, are one of the fish that should not be sold in pet stores. They grow much to large for the average aquarist to accommodate. Here's a link to some info on them Iridescent Shark Catfish, Pangasius Catfish

LouzZ 08-06-2009 04:54 PM

ok guys im sorry. 1 of my id sharks just died. im just going to keep my rainbow shark with the othe id shark and the tigerbarbs otger fishs are going to go back to petstore i have lost an id shark an a needlefish =(