Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   whats happened!? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/whats-happened-2689/)

flatcam1 01-23-2007 03:13 AM

whats happened!?

hello everybody,

I was looking at my tank today and noticed that all of my 7 neon tetras ( Paracheirodon innesi ) except for 1 have dissapeared. They are not hiding anywhere in the tank because there isn't any hiding spot big enough for 7 of them and those places are under 2 pieces of driftwood.

Does anyone know what has happened to my neons? :(

best regards, flatcam1

Amphitrite 01-23-2007 03:15 AM

Do you have an internal filter Cam? If so, check inside there. How long have you had the tetras for?

flatcam1 01-23-2007 04:04 AM

a long time, about 10 months.... :)

Amphitrite 01-23-2007 04:06 AM

Okay, and have you checked the filter? 7 tetras is a lot of fish to disappear at once!

What else do you have in the tank with them?

flatcam1 01-23-2007 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kateyoup
Okay, and have you checked the filter? 7 tetras is a lot of fish to disappear at once!

What else do you have in the tank with them?

no, not yet. Have to try and convince dad! :roll:

in that tank

i have tetras ( 1X neon tetra, glowlight tetras, black neon tetras and TRUE rummy nose tetras )

i have 3 corys ( 1 C.Paleatus, 1 long-finned C.Paleatus and 1 albino C.Aenus. )

and i have 5 peppermint bristlenose.......+ lots of snails :lol:

hope this helps! :D

Lupin 01-23-2007 04:29 AM

Had a chat with Cam and I came up with the following information.:)

The last time he saw his neons was 3 weeks ago.

None of the tetras in my opinion would have killed the neons unless the tetras are serpaes, Buenos Aires or the larger species including the African species. Murders can happen if cramped for space which I believe is not the case in Cam's.

The following factors I have listed:
1. They died and may have dissolved immediately. Take note neons are very small and small fish can dissolve quickly. Check the ammonia and nitrites.
2. The snails and plecs ate them. With so many snails, there is a chance the neons' bodies have been eaten in a matter of hours.

And unless I am mistaken, the last option is the filter which Cam will update sooner or later once he checks it.:)

A question worth answering is how the neons died. This baffled me as none of the fish he listed can kill neons with the exception of some tetras considered to be most often aggressive.

flatcam1 01-23-2007 05:10 AM

LOL detective blue :lol:

thankyou everyone for the help :D

just checked the filter. Nothing unusual is in there.....

i think you are right on the dissolving issue...... :(

xingumike 01-23-2007 12:55 PM

damn flam how did u lose ya neons for that long?

bad luck dude, sorry to hear :cry:

flatcam1 01-23-2007 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xingumike
damn flam how did u lose ya neons for that long?

bad luck dude, sorry to hear :cry:

yeah, well, i can always get some more once i find out the problem....:D

Melissa 01-23-2007 04:52 PM

this reminds me of how one time i looked in the tank real good and i couldnt finds our other dwarf frog. we has 2, then a week a week or 2 later there was only one.