Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Good Skimmer for a 30gl tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/good-skimmer-30gl-tank-26884/)

motica1 08-05-2009 09:10 AM

Good Skimmer for a 30gl tank

I havn't figured out what size tank I'm getting just yet but I've found many 30gl tanks on craigslist for cheap so I was wondering what would be a good hang-on skimmer because I can't have a sump. I found this one and it seems good- Reef Octopus BH 1000 Hang on Back Protein Skimmer by CoralVue. Has anyone had any experiences with this skimmer?

Pasfur 08-05-2009 06:40 PM

I have not seen that unit before, but I am impressed with the design. It has a surface skimmer, with a nice dual pass countercurrent flow, and a sponge bubble trap. Also, the neck is restrictive, but not that bad at all compared to many hang on models. I am VERY impressed with this skimmer, for a hang on design. I am saving it into my favorites and will probably be recommending this unit for aquariums of your size without a sump.

Now, there are some downfalls to this design. One, the sponge needs to be cleaned almost every day to prevent organic accumulation. If not, phosphates are a risk. Also, a dirty sponge will slow the flow rate, increase the height of the water in the neck of the skimmer, causing a poor quality skimate. Bottom line, clean the sponge daily.

Another drawback will be evaporation. This unit has a surface skimmer, which means high quality organic removal, which is good. But it also means that all evaporation will occur within the skimmer return chamber, causing you to replace evaporation on a more frequent basis. You may want to install an automatic evaporation replacement system on a float valve, connected to a power head in a water basin or bucket below the aquarium. Unless of course the surface skimmer is a floating design, connected to the intake, in which case this entire paragraph does not apply.

master robbo 08-06-2009 02:30 AM

yeah looks good with the things mentioned above

what fish were you think of putting in the tank

motica1 08-06-2009 07:13 AM

Well, now my dad seems to be getting into it, and with his $$$ and the fact that he always wants bigger and better, he came up with the idea of getting a 40 or 50gl tank and putting it in the family room. I was fine with that:-D. I was thinking of using that same skimmer, or is the aquaC remora better?

I hadn't really thought of fish but here's a quick list in order of being put in the tank
- two black ocellaris clownfish
- yellow watchman goby
- pistol shrimp
-???
-???
-???
-???
- Yellow Tang (depending on tank size)

mullinsd2 08-10-2009 09:16 AM

Yellow tang will probably not do well in a tank that small. They get pretty big and need horizontal swimming room..... at least 4 feet. I have a 75 gallon as of now, and I am not going to be putting a fish that size in it. You could always get one when they are younger and get rid of it later..... If you do, please qt him or her. Just for the sake of your other fish. They are notorious for ich.

motica1 08-10-2009 11:17 AM

Yeah, the tang wasn't for sure. I was only going to consider it if i got a large tank. Are there any other fish you would recommend? Is the aqua C Remora HOB Skimmer any good???

mullinsd2 08-10-2009 03:27 PM

Remora is good. I wouldn't rely on the hob model for a tank more than about 60 gallons. It will work on a larger tank but ideally you would have a sump with a skimmer running in it. If you haven't picked up a tank and have the money I recommend getting a reef ready one. A decent sized rr tank can be had for 500 on craigslist and maybe cheaper from a fellow reefer. Since your dad seems set on spending a little extra cash I would recommend a sump setup and he will probably agree to it once he sees the many many benefits of it.

Pasfur 08-10-2009 05:08 PM

I would suggest the original skimmer selection for aquariums 38 gallons and smaller. For a 50 gallon, you would be better to consider the Aqua C Remora, or even the Coralife hang on skimmer here:
Super Skimmer with Needle Wheel - Up to 65 Gallon | Venturi Models | Protein Skimmers | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

I agree that a Tang would be out of place in these tank sizes. If you really want an open water fish with a little bit of size, take a look at the Centropyge genus of angelfish. A Coral Beauty Angel would be a great choice, or a Flame. Both are very hardy fish that do well in tanks of these sizes. These fish also become territorial and are best added last in your setup.

tales 08-31-2009 03:49 PM

Another vote for the Remora Great HOT skimmer.