Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   my fish experiences (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/my-fish-experiences-26858/)

brianfish 08-04-2009 05:28 PM

my fish experiences

I got into tropical fish, fresh water some thirty years ago, and have had a few tanks going ever since. I've tried to raise a lot of different fish, but keep coming back to livebearers for some reason. I just seem to enjoy them. I've always had a community tank set up, as I enjoy the many varieties and colors available. I watch my tanks like some folks watch TV. Each fish in the aquarium seems to have a personality of it's own so it's always fun to watch them. At the moment I am trying to find some green swords to raise and breed. Also would love to find a few purebred blue platys for the same purpose. I feel we have to many varietys and crosses that seem to dominate the pet shops, and would love to see more of the original species from which these all came from. my opinion only. The many different varieties are fun and pretty, but at the same time i would like to see some of the original native types around.:lol:

Amphitrite 08-04-2009 05:39 PM

Hello brianfish, welcome to FishForum.com :-D

aunt kymmie 08-04-2009 06:13 PM

Welcome to the forum brianfish! Do you you have any pics of your set ups that you can post? We love pics :-D

Twistersmom 08-04-2009 07:13 PM

Hello brianfish & welcome to the forum!

Krinedawg 08-05-2009 03:58 AM

Hello and welcome,

I'm new to the forums here myself, and thought I'd peruse the isle to see who's around. I agree with you, on the guppies, but for me, I'm not sure what a native guppy even looks like. I purchased mine from a good friend who is an Angel fish breeder, who was also raising the guppies I have now.
I watch mine aquariums the same way! I sit for hours just watching them. While researching the guppies I became overwhelmed at just how many different types their are. To the point I don't even know what kind I have!

Good luck on finding your guppies, and if you get the chance could you post a picture of a native guppy or perhaps a link to view them. I'm very curious in the different types.

Thanks in advance
Nice to meet you!

brianfish 08-05-2009 11:02 AM

Thanks Krinedawg, I have a few old books on aquariums and tropical fish, to the tune of some forty years old, and in one of them is a photo, in color of the original guppy. For instance, it had no fancy tails like lyretails etc. It is about half the size of most of todays guppies, and had a few spots of subdued colors scattered around them. I had some of these for a while and was breeding them, but sold out in a nasty divorce. Have now got back into the hobby with mostly new tanks etc. The books are in a shed in the mountains, and I'll have to get it out when I go back up to the cabin. I miss having that book handy.

brianfish 08-05-2009 11:04 AM

to twister's mom, and Aunt Krymme, thanks for the welcome, and want you to know I appreciate what anyone can do to make my enjoyment of this hobby more fun.

dramaqueen 08-05-2009 11:17 AM

Hello and welcome to FishForum.

aunt kymmie 08-05-2009 11:34 AM

Krinedawg- Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what your user name signifies but I like it. :-)

Krinedawg 08-05-2009 03:39 PM

Thank you for the welcome, as well, . Sorry for the hijack there Brian. If you have the name of the book, perhaps I could be able to find it online or at the library. Would love to see what the originals look like. Thanks again.