Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Well Water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/well-water-26836/)

fishyinpa 08-04-2009 11:50 AM

Well Water

Hey all. So I am asking for a friend,because I have no idea. She wants to set up a fish tank,but she only has well water. As far as she knows,there is iron in the water. There is a filter on it to make it safe to drink in the house. I am sure she can get a report as to what else is in the water. She wanted to know how to make the water safe for fish? Or can it be made safe at all. Thanks!

fishyinpa 08-04-2009 02:49 PM

hmm...nobody?? seesh.

aunt kymmie 08-04-2009 02:57 PM

:question: I wish I knew the answer for you.

fishyinpa 08-04-2009 03:30 PM

haha its okay. i thought someone on here might know...guess i have to be patient lol.

Fishin Pole 08-04-2009 03:53 PM

once the water is tested and we see where the Ph is and how hard or soft the water is, then we can comment and give suggestions to types of fish for your friend to keep..........I wouldnt see why if the water is safe to drink why it wouldnt be able to house fish in............Just let us know the test results and we can go from there

fishyinpa 08-04-2009 05:44 PM

okay.thanks.

Byron 08-04-2009 06:55 PM

FishinPole is right, it all depends upon the water and the tests will tell you that. Some well water is OK, some may not be (and may be impossible to fix except by RO). I would be concerned about the iron you mention; a little is good for plants (and won't hurt the fish obviously) but if it is high in iron that is bad for both. There is also the pH and general hardness; some well water is soft and acidic (good for fish and plants) but some is very hard and alkaline (OK for rift lake cichlids, and maybe liverbearers, but not much else). And treatment can be expensive. I would also want to know (if it were me) what "filtering" is done to make it drinkable; sometimes chemicals are added in "filtering" water and can cause problems for fish.

Krinedawg 08-05-2009 06:40 AM

Fishyinpa,
I assume you are in Pennsylvaina? If so may I ask what part?
Since I don't know and I'm assuming you are...Depending where you are in PA here's what we've got. In my area the well water comes out with a PH of 6, and is perfect for most tropical fish. With a high iron in your water I am assuming you would be in the south west region of the state, say near Pittsburgh area. Of course I could be totally off as Iron deposits are found in various regions of PA. We just happen to be lucky here. I would first test your PH, most wells that I've seen here, are as close to perfect as you can get for aquariums. If you don't have a test kit take a moderate sample to your LFS, most will test your water for free, some may charge. This will give you a basic starting point on what you need to do as far balancing/cycling your tank. Once that is done if it turns out okay simply use the water as is, and start the cycling process. If it's gonna take allot to correct, I would seriously consider reverse osmosis.
Hope this helps some.

RandallW20 08-10-2009 03:29 PM

Shouldn't she be concerned about the water softener, as most of them use salt tablets? Wouldn't that be a concern?

Byron 08-10-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallW20 (Post 225268)
Shouldn't she be concerned about the water softener, as most of them use salt tablets? Wouldn't that be a concern?

Yes; I wasn't sure if the "filtering" meant water softener or just filter (like a Britta setup). But you're correct, it is my understanding that home water softeners usually do the softening by replacing calcium and magnesium ions with sodium ions. But most soft water fish also have a high intolerance of salt, so the end result is not much different (or better) for the fish.