Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Leopoldi Angelfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/leopoldi-angelfish-268105/)

fishkid 09-15-2013 12:13 PM

Leopoldi Angelfish

Anyone have experience with these? Would they get along with dwarf cichlids or cories?

jaysee 09-15-2013 12:39 PM

If I recall correctly, they are the rarest of the 3 angelfish species. I hope someone with more knowledge about them comes along.

Austin 09-15-2013 01:19 PM

I was looking them up just now since you mentioned it and I had heard of them but never knew much about then. Someone had a YouTube video of them in a tank with corries but that's about all I can tell you. Pretty fish! :D

BWG 09-15-2013 01:35 PM

I've never kept them, but had looked into them before ultimately deciding to just hold off on them until the future and a bigger tank. That was roughly around the time I learned they don't stay as small as some people say.

Informtion is tough to come by. The only profile I know of is right here Leopoldi angelfish, I cant' see a problem with cories, since from the bits and pieces I've heard from people they seem to behave like other angels. Don't known about the dwarf cichlids, but since people keep them with P. scalare it might be possible.

fishkid 09-15-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwaterguy (Post 3017065)
That was roughly around the time I learned they don't stay as small as some people say.

Interesting. Could that be from wild P. scalare misidentified as P. leopoldi?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

BWG 09-15-2013 02:25 PM

Possibly, I don't know for sure. Fishbase says only 2 inches long for them and I just find that tough to believe. Even at 4 inches long they are bigger than I'd want in my 40B.

Smegzilla69 09-15-2013 08:33 PM

I wouldn't put them with the dwarf cichlids

jaysee 09-15-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smegzilla69 (Post 3019665)
I wouldn't put them with the dwarf cichlids

welcome to the forum

Why not?

Smegzilla69 09-16-2013 02:06 PM

i wouldnt risk the angel in that tank.
angels and the dwarf cichlids would be territorial i wouldnt risk it
i have seen the dwarfs nip the ventral fins off regular angels and Leopoldi are smaller and would be bullied easier if territory is a problem
if i could find Leopoldi i would put em in a overplanted tank with other SA tetras and stuff.

jaysee 09-18-2013 08:41 AM

Here's the thing about keeping cichlids together.... They will nip at each others fins. That's the way they are. Most cichlid keepers accept this because there's nothing that can be done about it. I think a lot of people that move from their peaceful tetras and Corys to cichlids are not prepared for that. Some aquarists think that the fish should have perfects fins, and if that's important to them then mixing cichlids is not for them. The rest of them aren't concerned about it unless there are actual fights taking place....and even then some don't worry.

In the wild, not many fish have perfect fins. Sea bass, for example (because they are most cichlid like), never have perfect fins.