Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Banding around plants (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/banding-around-plants-2679/)

ttiger72 01-22-2007 08:05 PM

Banding around plants

On some plants that I have bought they have a metal wrap around the bottom of the bunch of stems. I was told by my LFS to leave this on to keep the plants together, however I am concerned that it might be lead or something similar that would be harmful to the tank.

Does anyone know what this is? If it's ok or if I should remove it?

Matt 01-22-2007 08:08 PM

no need to remove it all my live still have it and the tank is fine.
all it does is holds the plant in the little pot.

Lupin 01-22-2007 09:14 PM

I suggest removing it because of the following reasons.

1. Metal bands can damage the plant tissues.
2. No penetration of light between the stems causing the plant to rot altogether.

ttiger72 01-22-2007 09:21 PM

Thanks guys, I think I will remove them and see if the stems stay together or not.

fish_4_all 01-22-2007 10:23 PM

What are the plants? If it is anacharis/elodea it won't matter because you will need to cut and replant often enough anyway. For vals, they need tobe anchored to the gravel until they can take root then you need to remove them so they can expand and grow properly. Any kind of hygro, Ludwigia or other true leaf stem plant need to planted seperately so that light can get to the bottoms so they don't lose their lower leaves.

And the weights are harmless, they are no longer lead to prevent contamination of the water.

FDStation152 01-23-2007 12:38 AM

I think pretty much every plant in my main tank has those bands on it to keep it down. I've never bothered to remove any of them and the plants seem to do ok regardless. Actually they seem to be spreading quite proficiently. The tank started with two varieties of sword plant and one aponogeneton bulb. Now both swords have other clumps of sword plants growing around them and the apono is sprouting from atlest 4 different spots in the tank.

ttiger72 01-23-2007 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all
What are the plants? If it is anacharis/elodea it won't matter because you will need to cut and replant often enough anyway. For vals, they need tobe anchored to the gravel until they can take root then you need to remove them so they can expand and grow properly. Any kind of hygro, Ludwigia or other true leaf stem plant need to planted seperately so that light can get to the bottoms so they don't lose their lower leaves.

And the weights are harmless, they are no longer lead to prevent contamination of the water.

It's around my Alternanthera reineckii I had it around my Dragon Flame (Hemigraphis repanda) but it didn't last very long in the tank, two plants were pretty much mush, and the third the stems were mush below the substrate.

fish_4_all 01-24-2007 12:03 AM

I think it will be best to take them off so that the stems don't get damaged by moveing it around or being cramped.