Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Am i overstocking (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/am-i-overstocking-26776/)

master robbo 08-03-2009 02:13 AM

Am i overstocking

i have a 20 g tank and have 2 male guppys 7 platys and 1 fry(all others died:evil:)and 2 neon tetras.

im looking to buy some sort of catfish or something to suck the glass besides snails since i have lots of little ones(NO HELP)

what else could i put in my tank if im not overstovked already that is not very expensive and would go along with these

thanks..:-D

aquakid 08-03-2009 08:06 AM

umm maybe a plecostomus. two or 3 skirt tetras

JohnnyD44 08-04-2009 07:36 AM

a pleco will grow too big for your 20G unless you get a smaller spieces, even then, it may outgrow your tank. I would up the amount of neon tetras to 6, they really enjoy being a shoal of atleast 6, anything less streeses them out which will lead to health problems and early death....you could add some cory catfish, they remain small....although they will not suck to glass....if you look for a bottom dweller, they would work well. Black skirts would work, but keep them in groups of 6 as well....
keep in mind your platys will continue to mate unless they are all one sex....which will overtake your tank with fry

master robbo 08-30-2009 04:11 AM

thanks anyone ekse have ideas
'

British 08-30-2009 05:42 PM

Upside-Down Catfish maybe?

Phatfish 08-30-2009 05:59 PM

how how about some clown loaches, they have a striking yellow color with black stripes and are great bottom feeders. You have to be careful with the larger tetras because they may start nipping the guppy's tail.

aunt kymmie 08-30-2009 06:33 PM

Clown loaches are great fish but they are not suited for a 20 gl. They grow rather large and prefer to be in groups.
How long as your tank been set up? Otos could be an option, provided your tank has been established for a few months and has an algae source. Is this tank planted?

An albino bristlenose pleco would also work. I have one and he's topped out at 3' 1/2". I would think a plec that small would be fine in a 20g.

master robbo 08-31-2009 04:34 AM

yes my tank is quite heavily planted with lots of swords and anubias on driftwood and nice bushy ones( i dont know the name :) the substrate is sand and i am not sure if i have algae ....how do i tell. if i decide to get some bristlenose plecos do they like being in groups or just in 1's or 2's.....also will these fish you have mentioned be ok with a sucking catfish or will i have to sacrifice him...

any other suggestions would be apreciated

thanks

aunt kymmie 08-31-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by master robbo (Post 235885)
yes my tank is quite heavily planted with lots of swords and anubias on driftwood and nice bushy ones( i dont know the name :) the substrate is sand and i am not sure if i have algae ....how do i tell. if i decide to get some bristlenose plecos do they like being in groups or just in 1's or 2's.....also will these fish you have mentioned be ok with a sucking catfish or will i have to sacrifice him...

any other suggestions would be apreciated

thanks

There are many differents kinds of algae. You mentioned in your very first post about wanting a fish that would "suck the sides" of the glass so I assumed it was to help keep the glass clean. Since the tank is heavily planted (yay) I'm assuming you've got areas here & there of algae.
Otos prefer to be in groups (2 to 3, at least) and they produce a very small bio load and will get along fine with the other fish in your tank. Another thing to note on the otos: They are very picky when it comes to water parameters. If the params aren't stellar otos easily perish.
Bristles can be kept solo and have a larger bioload. The bristle will also be perfecty fine with the other fish in your tank. (Otos and bristles can also be kept together.)

master robbo 09-01-2009 05:00 AM

thanks Aunt Kymmie i might just go out and buy some otos and bristle noses ...

how many do you recommend ( i do not want to reach the max of my occupancy of my tank so as little as possible would be good)but if i must have 2, 3 bristles then i will and get a couple otos