Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Fish ate my aquatic plants ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/fish-ate-my-aquatic-plants-267346/)

Santai97 09-13-2013 10:39 PM

Fish ate my aquatic plants ?

Hi guys, I have planted some stonewort in my fish tank and off the filter system for about 4 days so that the stonewort's roots can grow into the gravel.

Unfortunately, I saw all of the stonewort disappear suddenly today, water quality haven't improved . Why this happen anyway? I wonder if my 7 blue gourami and a tilapia ate the stonewort ? Well, I haven't feed them any flakes during these days :P

What should I do to grow the stonewort successfully ? Should I separate the fish in another tank and let the new stonewort / aquatic plants grow in the tank ?

Desperately need helps !

Sakura8 09-14-2013 01:40 AM

To the best of my knowledge, blue gourami are not really herbivorous. They will pick at algae but they are not known for eating plants. It depends on what kind of tilapia you have though. I think some can be somewhat herbivorous while others are more carnivorous.

Unless your filter flow is insanely strong, you should be fine leaving the filter on while the plants root and grow. Just be sure to bury the stems deep into the substrate. Another option is to find a very small terra cotta pot (nonglazed). Fill this with your substrate and plant the stems in this pot. The pot will protect the roots as they take hold.

Santai97 09-14-2013 02:20 AM

I have off my filter for about 4 days, I think I should feed them some flakes so that they will not nip/eat my aquatic plants, is it right?

My stonewort always got sucked by the filter after I plant it . And stonewort is so messy, I don't even know where the roots lol Well, I will try to cut some plastic bottle into pot-sized and plant them into the pot... :P

Any more replies please ...

Boredomb 09-14-2013 03:20 AM

I have no experience with the fish or plant you are talking about but if the one of the is in fact eating your plants. The best way to try to get then not is feeding then. You can try to feed them a small amount couple times a day. Say like a lil in the morning and a lil at night. The idea is if they have enough food present they won't eat your plants. This doesn't always work. The other option is to get plants that most fish wont eat such as Anubias and or Java Fern.

Santai97 09-14-2013 09:54 AM

Why fish won't eat Anubias and Java Fern ?

btw, thanks for the replies :) Any tips on growing stonewort in the fish tank? What benefits of it?

rexpepper651 09-14-2013 10:22 AM

i had fish destroy alot of my plants! the trick is to just try and find what plants they wont. its frustrating thats for sure! benifits of having plants is it helps with water quality and it makes the tank look alot better! also makes the fish feel more at home and safe.

Santai97 09-15-2013 02:02 AM

Can the plants grow/live in no/slow water movement aquarium ? @.@

Boredomb 09-15-2013 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santai97 (Post 3009505)
Why fish won't eat Anubias and Java Fern ?

btw, thanks for the replies :) Any tips on growing stonewort in the fish tank? What benefits of it?

The leaves are kind of thicker then other plants and the leaves generally doing taste good to them.

Boredomb 09-15-2013 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santai97 (Post 3014810)
Can the plants grow/live in no/slow water movement aquarium ? @.@

In slow water movement they should be fine. If you have a filter you will always have some movement soo there shouldn't be anything not moving.

Santai97 09-15-2013 04:47 AM

how about if i off the filter? there is no any movement in water,the plants can still growing?