Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Platy help/suggestions/water issues (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/platy-help-suggestions-water-issues-26699/)

kandg 08-01-2009 09:54 AM

Platy help/suggestions/water issues

I recently had a 10 gallon tank with 4 platy. Yes, I know, I had 3 males and one female, which isn't good. However, all my males were very peaceful, didn't harass the female or each other at all. It was the female that was a character! She chased and harassed all the others continuously, though they were much faster than her, and seemed to enjoy the chase as they'd go right back near her and have her chase them again, doing loops and swimming in and out of plants and a log.

I was able to keep my PH steady and everything was testing proper.

My platy, all four, died the other day due to water issues. My water has never been great, but with boiling, then leaving the water out for several days before a partial change, using the water conditioner, etc, all was well. However, after doing everything I always did, the water killed my fish within 2 hours of a partial change. My husband keeps telling me they died for a cause as we've since found out that my tap water has been making us and my rabbits ill as well. We have complaints in to the EPA and Health Dept and hope that it will be straightened out soon. I, however, do not trust my water in the future with my fish. I live in a mobile home park, and they very often shut the water off for repairs to an old system, and put us under boil orders. I need to find out if I can use bottled water for my next tank? I remember years ago I used to use drinking water for them. However, I was told by one pet shop that it wasn't good for them. Can I use drinking water? Bottled spring water?

I want another set of platy so badly. I work the night shift, and sometimes have trouble sleeping in the days. I put them near my bed and I'm able to fall asleep because it's so relaxing watching them swim and play. My last set of 4 I had for about a year. I'm heartbroken... I feel terrible that I killed them with my water. If I'd only known then...

aunt kymmie 08-01-2009 12:16 PM

Bottled spring water will work just fine. I'm sorry you are having such trouble with your tap water. :-?
Welcome to the forum!

kandg 08-01-2009 03:02 PM

Oh, that's wonderful to hear! I was afraid I was going to have to give up on getting any more fish. I'll start cycling my tank right away... got a 15 gallon to use this time around.

Would you happen to know if I need to use the water conditioner with the bottled spring water? Is there anything in particular/special I need to do?

Thanks for your help!

Oldman47 08-01-2009 04:02 PM

If you do decide to use bottled water, be sure to add back the minerals that are missing in that water. There are additives made for people that use RO water to bring the mineral content back to what it should be for fish and something like that will need to be used for bottled water. The product that I have seen is called RO Right but I am sure there must be other brands of it.

Guppyluver4ever 08-01-2009 06:27 PM

bottled waters good!

kandg 08-01-2009 07:52 PM

OK, great! Thanks so much. I'll look for the stuff to put the minerals back into it.

Appreciate all the help! Thanks so much to all!