Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Missing Fish... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/missing-fish-266922/)

Dveha 09-13-2013 07:35 AM

Missing Fish...

So, last night I noticed my male fancy guppy wasn't around for feeding time. Sometimes the fish sleep in the bubble mill house and I only worry if I don't see them all day. Well, this morning he was nowhere to be found! I lifted up and looked in the house and didn't see him (I'll look again tonight).He wasn't floating/sunk anywhere I could see either. I don't think he's big enough to fit up the filter tube but checked the filter area quickly and didn't see any fish. The biggest fish I have is a Molly (both male), so I don't think he would have been eaten, but I have no idea where else he could be. It's a 20 gal fish tank!

Gonna do another check tonight just to make sure he's not really good at hide and seek.

Chesh 09-13-2013 07:00 PM

:( Did you find him?

henningc 09-14-2013 01:52 AM

Could he have jumped out? Many of the tropical fish we all love can jump like crazy. If a olly spooked him he may have missed the tank on re-entery. If you have a hood, check the bottom to see if he jumped and stuck.

rexpepper651 09-14-2013 10:28 AM

exactly check around the thank. ive had fish disappear to never be found. its annoying and frustrating. for a long time i had a platy missing but found it was an amazing hider. hiding in the floating plats i have. it was injured its fine now and out and about! sometimes it may seem like its gone but is just hiding where you cant seE! hope you find your little buddy!

avraptorhal 09-15-2013 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dveha (Post 3002778)
So, last night I noticed my male fancy guppy wasn't around for feeding time. Sometimes the fish sleep in the bubble mill house and I only worry if I don't see them all day. Well, this morning he was nowhere to be found! I lifted up and looked in the house and didn't see him (I'll look again tonight).He wasn't floating/sunk anywhere I could see either. I don't think he's big enough to fit up the filter tube but checked the filter area quickly and didn't see any fish. The biggest fish I have is a Molly (both male), so I don't think he would have been eaten, but I have no idea where else he could be. It's a 20 gal fish tank!

Gonna do another check tonight just to make sure he's not really good at hide and seek.

I have had a similar occurrence. I moved 2 Serpae tetra from my QT to the DT. I had bought three, one didn't survive the QT. Two days after I noticed that one of the Serpae was missing. I checked all around the tank and I cleaned the filter a day or two later no sign of the fish anywhere. A day or two later the second Serpae was missing. Same check same result. I didn't know what to think, I still don't.

However, two weeks ago I moved six Black Neon Tetra from the QT to the DT. A day later I missed one Black Neon at feeding time. Same search, same result. Still missing.

As background, in the first instance there was an older Serpae that had been there from first stocking along with 4 platies. At that time I also I also added two more platies. They are still there and thriving. An additional fact is that one of the original platies seemed to be chasing the other platies , never catching any of them.

My first thought was "a serial killer platy"? :BIGgrin: ROFLMAO!!!

Dveha 09-16-2013 09:07 AM

I found him...or what was left of him anyway. :(
I'm still not sure what happened but I scooped his remains out of the tank.

R.I.P. Zippy

lilbabyvenus 09-16-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dveha (Post 3021986)
I found him...or what was left of him anyway. :(
I'm still not sure what happened but I scooped his remains out of the tank.

R.I.P. Zippy

I'm so sorry :-( RIP Zippy

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

avraptorhal 09-16-2013 04:54 PM

Sorry for the loss.

I never found the remains for any of the missing.

I think I figured out what happened to the black neon. when I moved him and his compatriots to the DT he was the last I caught. I chased him for quite a while and the main reason I caught him was he gave up. I suspect he got over stressed and died. I had pond snail infestation which probably accounted for his disappearance.

Dveha 09-17-2013 09:11 AM

Admittedly, Zippy was a bit of a fish bully and kinda had it coming if he was done in by a tank mate.