Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What do you think of this sand? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-do-you-think-sand-266681/)

lilbabyvenus 09-12-2013 08:18 PM

What do you think of this sand?

Does it seem like it would work? It looks like it would be prettier than plain play sand. I'm just wanting to make sure it would be suitable for fish and plants. Input?

28 lbs of Genuine Beach Sand Aquarium Sand Craft Art Wedding Soft Caifornia | eBay

pennyls9332 09-12-2013 09:04 PM

as long as you wash it i dont see why it would be a problem

lilbabyvenus 09-12-2013 09:22 PM

I can't decide between that or black Tahitian Moon Sand...

Chesh 09-12-2013 09:22 PM

Is there any way you can ask the seller for a small sample before committing to buy? I'm admittedly nervous about such things, but I'd want to see it for myself first, and run a few water tests to see if there are any shell fragments that might increase water hardness. . . it is pretty, though!

Chesh 09-12-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbabyvenus (Post 3000601)
I can't decide between that or black Tahitian Moon Sand...

Its expensive, but I LOVE my TMS! I have used it in several tanks now! Soooo pretty. . . inert, fine with loaches (so your Cory should be fine) and it really is a great sand for beginners, since the grains are somewhat larger/heavier than play or pool filter sand, it doesn't get stirred up as easily. Very good sand to learn on. Do you have a PetCo nearby? They have a generic (store brand, I think) version for *slightly* less - from what I've been told it's pretty much the same. . .

lilbabyvenus 09-12-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesh (Post 3000617)
Is there any way you can ask the seller for a small sample before committing to buy? I'm admittedly nervous about such things, but I'd want to see it for myself first, and run a few water tests to see if there are any shell fragments that might increase water hardness. . . it is pretty, though!

I hadn't thought of that. I have been wondering lately if my gravel is contributing to my high PH. I know the moon sand specifically says it won't affect ph, maybe that would be a better way to go?

pennyls9332 09-12-2013 09:34 PM

the only way i know of for gravel to affect ph is if it has shells or coral in it or was one used in saltwater maybe? idk of anything else

Chesh 09-12-2013 09:35 PM

You can always test your gravel by pulling out a handful and letting it soak in a jar for a few days. Test your Ph daily and see if it shifts. I'd want to do the same thing with this sand, since it's beach sand, it seems very likely that some of it is made up of shell fragments, which will raise your Ph. TMS will NOT affect Ph. I have over four-feet worth of tank worth of proof to back the packaging up!

If these were *my* only two options, I'd go with TMS. . . all bias aside (cuz' I just love the stuff)

It can't hurt to ask the seller for a handful, and run some water tests. It is pretty!

jaysee 09-12-2013 09:39 PM

It looks really fine - I would stay away. Fine sands are a huge hassle in my experience.

I don't think TMS is any larger than PFS.

lilbabyvenus 09-12-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesh (Post 3000649)
Its expensive, but I LOVE my TMS! I have used it in several tanks now! Soooo pretty. . . inert, fine with loaches (so your Cory should be fine) and it really is a great sand for beginners, since the grains are somewhat larger/heavier than play or pool filter sand, it doesn't get stirred up as easily. Very good sand to learn on. Do you have a PetCo nearby? They have a generic (store brand, I think) version for *slightly* less - from what I've been told it's pretty much the same. . .

I saw that online at Petco. It's not that much cheaper, where if I could find tms online for the right price, I'd rather go with that. And now DF says he'd rather have black than white... Does it matter which tms I get? Can I use this one: Aquarium Substrate for Marine Aquariums: CaribSea Instant Aquarium Substrate Tahitian Moon
Or is there a different one that is better?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 3000873)
I don't think TMS is any larger than PFS.

Hmmm, could be not all brands are created equal. good to know. Mine was very fine. I hated it! ^.^