Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Will water wisteria grow without roots? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/will-water-wisteria-grow-without-roots-266346/)

lilbabyvenus 09-12-2013 09:30 AM

Will water wisteria grow without roots?

I found a small wisteria plant at petsmart, but when I got it home and out of the tube, I realized it didn't have roots. The whole root system and lower stem of the plant had turned to mush. I cleaned it up, removed the decayed root, and stuck it in my gravel. Will it regrow it's roots? Or should I just watch and prepare to pull it out?

Boredomb 09-12-2013 10:33 AM

Yes they can make it that way. Best way is just to cut the mush part off. Being you got it out of a tube from Petsmart its probably emersed grown. It will have better luck if you pull it out and let it float on the surface so it can transition to being in water again. Let it stay there until you start to see plenty of good growth. I got some like that once planted one and floated the other. The one floating did far better then the one planted.
Posted via Mobile Device

lilbabyvenus 09-12-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 2996330)
Yes they can make it that way. Best way is just to cut the mush part off. Being you got it out of a tube from Petsmart its probably emersed grown. It will have better luck if you pull it out and let it float on the surface so it can transition to being in water again. Let it stay there until you start to see plenty of good growth. I got some like that once planted one and floated the other. The one floating did far better then the one planted.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you so much! I'll lift it up and let it float :-D

Agent13 09-12-2013 11:24 AM

Yes, It should be ok like that. Also if you want to speed the process up you can dose your tank with flourish comprehensive a few time over the next week. It'll work best if you use a small baby syringe and spot dose each plant especially that wisteria plant.

lilbabyvenus 09-12-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent13 (Post 2996538)
Yes, It should be ok like that. Also if you want to speed the process up you can dose your tank with flourish comprehensive a few time over the next week. It'll work best if you use a small baby syringe and spot dose each plant especially that wisteria plant.

I was so confused about all the liquid flourish bottles they have, so thank you for this. I did pick up some tabs for my gravel, but will grab some comprehensive and pack of syringes today or tomorrow for the wisteria.

marshallsea 09-12-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbabyvenus (Post 2996753)
I was so confused about all the liquid flourish bottles they have, so thank you for this. I did pick up some tabs for my gravel, but will grab some comprehensive and pack of syringes today or tomorrow for the wisteria.

Wisteria does not feed through the roots so any root tabs or other feeding in the substrate for Wisteria is wasted and may muck up your tank. Planted it will grow roots only to hold itself in place.

lilbabyvenus 09-12-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 2996929)
Wisteria does not feed through the roots so any root tabs or other feeding in the substrate for Wisteria is wasted and may muck up your tank. Planted it will grow roots only to hold itself in place.

What about amazon swords and anubius plants? I have 3 of each of those. I also have a java fern but I understand those don't really feed through the roots either, correct?

Boredomb 09-12-2013 01:14 PM

You will need the tabs for the Amazon swords. The Anubias and Java Fern will do fine with just the comprehensive fertilizer.

lilbabyvenus 09-12-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 2997025)
You will need the tabs for the Amazon swords. The Anubias and Java Fern will do fine with just the comprehensive fertilizer.

Oh, alrighty. Should I try to pull up some of the tabs then?

Boredomb 09-12-2013 01:16 PM

I don't know how you have the Anubias or Java fern "planted" but they usually do best if you tie them to rocks or driftwood. If you have them planted in the substrate just makes sure you don't bury the rhizome or it may rot and then the plant will die.