Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Who's the Discus expert here at FF.com?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/whos-discus-expert-here-ff-com-26628/)

SuperFishFan 07-30-2009 04:00 PM

Who's the Discus expert here at FF.com??

I have kept so many types of tanks over the years but I am not well versed on Discus care.

I am thinking of doing another planted tank (maybe a 60 gal. cube, like the one I already have going) with nothing but a couple pair of Discus(not sure what strain yet), and maybe some freshwater inverts native to the Central / South American regions.

1). what strain do you think are the hardiest and easiest Discus to maintain?

2.) what other fish are a good match for a Discus tank?

Thanks.

Herky 07-30-2009 06:48 PM

I'm not an expert by any means..but I have managed to keep mine alive. I can't answer your question about strains of discus...as mine are some oddball mix that a local breeder had for sale, but as far as other fish I keep mine with angels since their requirements are somewhat similar. They seem to stay out of each others way, and do fine. I also have gouramis and corys in with them and they seem ok so far. If you get discus make sure they like each other before you buy them. Mine seem to hate each other and stay at opposite ends of the tank. If you go with angels and discus together you are going to need a big tank. Not sure I would go with the cube, but like I said I'm not exactly an expert. Discus are very neat fish though. If you can keep them alive...they are worth it.

SuperFishFan 07-30-2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herky (Post 220623)
I'm not an expert by any means..but I have managed to keep mine alive. I can't answer your question about strains of discus...as mine are some oddball mix that a local breeder had for sale, but as far as other fish I keep mine with angels since their requirements are somewhat similar. They seem to stay out of each others way, and do fine. I also have gouramis and corys in with them and they seem ok so far. If you get discus make sure they like each other before you buy them. Mine seem to hate each other and stay at opposite ends of the tank. If you go with angels and discus together you are going to need a big tank. Not sure I would go with the cube, but like I said I'm not exactly an expert. Discus are very neat fish though. If you can keep them alive...they are worth it.

Thanks Herky. I only thought of doing it with a 60 Cube because I love the look and intimacy of that tank, and I was planning to buy them small. But then again the look of a long tank with Discus in it, is very very cool too. What size is your tank?

Herky 07-31-2009 11:04 AM

Right now I have them in a 29 gallon unfortunately. Beginning of September I will have a 75 gallon though. My discus both decided today that they were going to start eating the flake food I give to my angels...funny little things. They snubbed their noses at it for months...and then today...gobble gobble gobble. Odd.