Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Water changes for 10 G, how do I store water to sit for 24 hrs? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/water-changes-10-g-how-do-26605/)

Blue Eternity 07-30-2009 03:59 AM

Water changes for 10 G, how do I store water to sit for 24 hrs?

At the end of August I'm heading off to college... and I want to take my two Bettas. They allow up to 10G, so I'm splitting it for my two boys.

The thing is, I have no idea how to store such a large amount of water for 24 hrs to condition it before using it for my tank. I'm going to do 50% changes every 5-7 days and a 100% change every two weeks. I will also have a filter going.

Should I get ten containers or something? I had enough trouble trying to find a 1.5 gallon container that didn't cost a ridiculous amount of money. There is no way I could just get another ten gallon container, I'm a very small and weak little girl; I can't even carry the 3 gallon container I have Mr. Big in right now. I have to ask my boyfriend or dad. lol!)

What would you suggest? What does everyone else do?

Please consider that I will be living in a dorm with another person, so there isn't exactly a ton of space to have containers of water sitting out all over. (And if it spilled, it was totally suck. I'm an art major hahaha and destroyed pieces of artwork won't work so well for my grades!)

JohnnyD44 07-30-2009 07:26 AM

I think you're really over thinking this.....maybe I'm missing something....but, why can't you buy one 5 gallon bucket (they are about $5 at your local home depot) and keep it in your dorm room and simply do a Partial Water Change (pwc) every week, which would be about 2 gallons a week (20%). It's healthier for your fish to do a pwc everyweek...no need to do 50% everyweek and then 100% every two...may throw your tank into a mini-cycle.

Can you do a pwc everyweek with a 5 gallon bucket?? Just simply take out 20% from your tank....and add conditioner/de-chlorinator to the new water and you should be good to go.....

Blue Eternity 07-30-2009 08:52 AM

So I don't really have to let the water sit for 24 hrs beforehand? I thought I had to add the conditioner and then wait 24 hours before putting that water into my tank.

The 5 gallon bucket is a good idea. I was going to do such large and frequent changes just because thats what I do now (but my tanks are much much smaller than a 10 G). I've never had anything over 3 gallons so I don't really know what to do with a 10.

JohnnyD44 07-30-2009 09:05 AM

well proper maintenace is generally anywhere between 15-40% pwc every week to maintain a healthy enviornment for your fish. No need to change out all the water every two weeks, you may be doing yourself more harm them good with that approach.

So for your 10G tank, you will want to change out about 3 gallons of water every week, pick a day where you know you will do it that day, everyweek no matter what....they are crucial to the longevity of your fish. Just drain out about 3 gallons of water, go dump it and fill up the 5 gallon bucket with new water, add conditioner or whatever you use to remove chlorine and add it to the tank. You can also gravel vac every two weeks or so if you see it becoming a problem.

Herky 07-30-2009 10:16 AM

Yeah, just add conditioner before you add the water and you will be ok. No need to wait 24 hours. Get a good conditioner like novaqua and you're good to go. I've even used cheapo tetra conditioner in a pinch and it worked too.

jeaninel 07-30-2009 11:58 AM

Is the 10 gallon tank already cycled or is this a new set up? It sounds like this will be a new 10 gallon tank and filter. If so, you'll need to cycle the tank and do frequent water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites in check until the tank is matured and your bacterial colony is established. If you don't already have one you'll need a test kit to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and Ph. Don't get the test strips, they are junk. Get the liquid kit such as this Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit

If you're not familiar with cycling here is an article for you to read The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
There's tons of info on the web about cycling your aquarium so just google The Aquarium Cycle and read up.

Good luck and be sure to ask here if you have any questions.

SinCrisis 07-30-2009 12:33 PM

just grab the old filter media if u had one and float it in ur 10 gallon tank while the filter is running. Should cycle in about... 1 - 2 weeks. or... Bettas are super hardy, so you can actually cycle with them if you want. or toss them in and dose the tank with cycle to be safer... Theres really not that much to worry about for a 10 gallon with two bettas... Also, if you use conditioner theres no reason to store water for 24 hrs. The purpose of the 24 hr storage is to let the chlorine evaptorate. If you use conditioner the water is already clear of chlorine. What you may need to consider is that a 10 gallon filter may create a current too strong for the betta on the side that the filter is in.

Johnny is very right about the water changes. the schedule you made for yourself is overkill, may do more harm than good. Get a mini gravel vac, suck out 20-25% of the water weekly and you should be fine.

adiumroot 08-02-2009 07:18 AM

I agree with the other guys. A 20-30% partial water change a week is sufficient. And no need to let the water stand for 24 hours if you use a water conditioner.

Bettas are hardy enough to cycle the tank. If you're worried you can do the 20-30% water change every 4 days and use "Cycle" or any similar product. But in my experience, once a week is fine.

About the filter being too strong on one side... what type of filter will you be using?

I've seen a split betta tank set-up filter using two small sponge filters (the ones small enough for 2.5 to 5 gallon tanks) with the air hose split using a Y-tube. I think it's a better idea than using a powerhead-driven filter, especially with a small tank like a 10g and fish that are used to still waters like bettas.

Unrulyevil 08-03-2009 12:51 PM

no matter what you do. Do NOT do 100% water change!

SinCrisis 08-03-2009 04:43 PM

well in this case for bettas, a 100% water change once a month or two might actually not be that bad as long as you do not change the filter media and vacuum the gravel sparsely. It may cause a mini cycle but bettas are strong and the full water change might be good for really cleaning out the poop and urine that they swim in.