Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   is this skimmer any good (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/skimmer-any-good-26585/)

jwalker314 07-29-2009 06:06 PM

is this skimmer any good

im going to assume from the price that this wouldn't be sufficient for my 55 gallon setup

Protein Skimmer Reef Aquarium up to 100 gallon w/ pump - eBay (item 180310988273 end time Jul-30-09 06:33:43 PDT)

Pasfur 07-29-2009 07:00 PM

When looking at protein skimmers there are a few things to pay attention to. Does it surface skim? What is the contact time? How are bubbles introduced? Does the neck restrict the output?

With the skimmer you have posted, each of these questions presents a negative answer. I would not use this particular skimmer on anything other than a small quarantine tank.

Please post some details of your 55 gallon setup and future plans, plus your budget for a protein skimmer. We can recommend some skimmers that would be appropriate.

jwalker314 07-29-2009 07:14 PM

details on my setup and plans can be found here:

http://www.fishforum.com/saltwater-a...nk-noob-26518/

i know there you recommended the G2 to work well with my setup. I was just looking to see if there were other cheaper options to start with. I have a resonable budget(anything i need will have to be saved for) but from what i understand a protien skimmer is one of the most importaint parts of the tank, so if it is necessary that i get a top notch one that i will have to.

oh and again ill probably be using a 29gallon tank for a refugium/sump so that puts the total water volume around 79gallons (not taking to play displacement from the rocks and sand)

My main goal to accomplish in the next few weeks is to get my sand, rock, and water (LFS sells it for 1.25 a gallon, seems a bit high, but will work to start with) and get the tank to cycle. The gentleman at the LFS recommened that i still get a protien skimmer to avoid the hair algae during the cycle process. i am in no hurry to add corals or fish, i would like the tank to be cycled and add a few crabs or shrimp...a slow start..

Pasfur 07-29-2009 07:24 PM

Oh yes, i remember. If you want a list of options, I think any of these models would "work" on your tank:

Coralife:
Super Skimmer with Needle Wheel - Up to 125 Gallon | Venturi Models | Protein Skimmers | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Berlin X2:
Berlin X2 Venturi Skimmer | Venturi Models | Protein Skimmers | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Marine Series Advanced:
Marine Series Advanced Protein Skimmers | Venturi Models | Protein Skimmers | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Each of these saves you some money from the ASM skimmer.

If money is still an issue, we can downgrade and discuss other less effective skimmers. Just remember, you get what you pay for and the skimmer is the most important purchase you will make!

jwalker314 07-29-2009 07:29 PM

thank you so much for the help, ive been spending all my time lately reading on here, looking forward to start to build my sump/fuge as well as drilling my tank for the overflows. All in time, once i start making some progress (tank is simply sitting with tap water in it running the powerheads {still want to make sure they are running well and that the tank isn't leaky) ill start a daily picture journal of the progress, i might order 160lbs of sand tomorrow (mainly to get my son's hermit crab project underway)

onefish2fish 07-29-2009 09:49 PM

search your area for a local reefing club and find a quality used skimmer.

jwalker314 07-30-2009 10:10 AM

i tried checking just a search for reefing club in my area, could not find anything.. is there some other way to search, a club forum or somethign that will tell me if there are any in my area. Closest i found was philadelphia, which is a good 2 1/2 hrs drive

jwalker314 07-30-2009 03:00 PM

okay, i know what was recommened to me, and i am considering one of those. But i came across someone on craigslist selling some protein skimmers. here are the models and the prices:

Via Aqua Protein Skimmer SK-200
$50 (can probably knock them down a couple dollars)

and a "Current" one, rated for 150 gallons $100 i just emailed them asking for a model number, i will post when i know

Pasfur 07-30-2009 07:57 PM

I have never used the Via Aqua Sk-200. However, i have become a rather good judge of skimmers over the years and can generally look at a design and have a rather accurate idea of performance.

That being said, I think you have a nice deal there. This unit should handle a 55 gallon rather effectively.

jwalker314 07-31-2009 02:04 AM

works for me, i think it will be a nice start, at least to get my live rock and sand situiated....and maybe once i get some fish in there ill get one of the others your suggested...ill offer then 40 bucks, then at least i can get started on making my refugium (thinking of using my son's hermit crab tank and getting him a smaller one anyways, the hermit crab tank i was plannin on using is like like a 30 or 40 gallon long....so would work nicely under my stand. besides it would take like 10 hermit crabs to occupy a small amount of the space in that tank...lol