Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   what to do with 65 gallons (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/what-do-65-gallons-26579/)

zachhay11 07-29-2009 04:42 PM

what to do with 65 gallons

hey guys i plan on getting a 50 to 65 gallon set up soon. i want a fish only system. i wanted to know my options. i really like lionfish. ecspecially dwarfs. but i also like puffers. can these two get along? and what else could i have? i like community stuff like clowns and gobies and stuff. and would tangs be possable?

Pasfur 07-29-2009 07:07 PM

I would treat a 55 or 65 gallon tank very similar to a 29 gallon. You can add more fish, but the types of fish won't change. I would look for space to add a 75 or even a 90 gallon tank. You can find these tanks in the 4 foot length and it opens up the door to a lot more fish options.

zachhay11 07-29-2009 08:51 PM

true but thanks to this guy on craigslist(best website ever!) who is apparently made out of money and wants to upgrade, i'm getting a 65 gallon tank with sump, filter, protein skimmer, lights, etc. etc. for $75. so 65 gallons is what i'm working with:)

Pasfur 07-30-2009 04:54 AM

Awesome find! And 65 gallons is decent size tank. You can have some fun with this one!

zachhay11 07-30-2009 02:35 PM

thanks:) now for my main "showcase" fish, i want either a dwarf lion or some type of puffer. could i get both? and what other fish could i have in there? i don't have my heart set on any one type of fish just something to put with my lion or puffer. i like gobies... oh and lastly, how can i tell the difference between a young and small lionfish and an adult dwarf? i don't want to get the wrong thing just because the store mislabeled it.

Pasfur 07-30-2009 08:22 PM

It shouldn't be that difficult to tell a Dwarf Lionfish from the other species. They have a unique appearance. Keep in mind, even the "Dwarf" get to be 6'' in size, which is a pretty big fish. You will need to keep its tank mates large enough not to be eaten. Most Gobies won' t be an option!

I would not suggest keeping a Puffer and Lionfish together in a 65 gallon tank. The sheer waste produced would be excessive, plus most Puffers need larger aquariums. You could probably do one of the Toby puffers, such as the Valentini Puffer.

Cody 07-30-2009 08:36 PM

If you want a Puffer or a Dwarf Lion, you can have ONE of them, and nothing else. Not even inverts/coral. No questions asked.

zachhay11 07-30-2009 11:25 PM

true pasfur. i've heard of people having gobies with lions but i always doubted there success. and waste is a thing i want to keep an eye on. i cant do evey week 35% water changes, since i want to buy as little salt as possable. and cody, are you sure on that? the valentini puffer is, and remains very small, in a 65 i think i may be able to keep one with some other community fish.

onefish2fish 07-30-2009 11:35 PM

puffers or lions arnt much of community fish but more for an agressive/predator tank. lions will eat anything they can fit in their mouth that they want to eat. the puffer is small but carries a large bio-load, im not saying its not possible but its going to require a good skimmer and so forth. your not going to be able to have inverts.

zachhay11 07-31-2009 12:29 PM

yes, i'm aware that puffers are little piggys. XD but i'll have good filtration(sump, undergravel, and skimmer) so is there anything that can be kept with a dwarf lion in a 65 gallon with good filtration??