Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Red devil help!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/red-devil-help-26561/)

Youngfresh329 07-29-2009 10:43 AM

Red devil help!!!

I Got a 75 Gallon Tank Set-up I Have 1 Red Devil 1 Green Terror both about 1 1/2 inches an 3 flowerhorns about 1 inch the tank has plenty of terroritorys set-up but the red devil insists on chasing around all 5 fish all day . around feeding time they all feed together with no problems if i keep the red devil will it eventually kill them all when its bigger?

Fishin Pole 07-29-2009 11:55 AM

Thats typical Red Devil behaviour...........attitude, attitude, attitude.........I cant say if he will kill your other fish, but i doubt the attitude and aggression is gonna stop........He is just being himself......Welcome to the wonderful world of cichlids..........Beautiful, aggressive fish that can be a headache to find a tank combo that works sometimes.............If its at all possible, i would return or rehome the Red Devil, no use spending all that money on flowerhorns to have them get beaten up by your Red Devil...........Good Luck and keep us posted

Youngfresh329 07-29-2009 02:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback im really hoping i can get the flowerhorns to spawn so i guess my best bet would be 2 re locate the red devil

doctorb 07-29-2009 03:47 PM

I had a 75 with an oscar that was about a foot long, a 6 inch Dempsey, and I added a firemouth, another dempsey, a black convict, and a red devil. The red devil was the smallest and I wasn't sure he would survive the others but he was on a super sale and very pretty. Besides, I figured they were all south american so they'd all get along, right?

He ballooned up in size, passed up the dempsey even, and started terrorizing everyone. The oscar wouldn't take his crap, but he managed to kill everyone else except the big dempsey. No fish store would take him, the only other tank I had at the time was a 10 gallon, and he was a 7 inch fish. When I'd put him in time-out in the 10 gallon he'd sink the bottom and turn white and I'd get scared he would die in there, so I'd put him back in the 75 and within an hour he'd be biting and shaking other fish. Finally a patient took him and went to a swap meet and contacted the guy who was second place bidder on a 5 inch Red Devil. He had bid $32 so he said he'd give her $30 for mine. She told me that she thought he go up to $40. I told her to take the money and run, I paid less than $2 for the thing and all I care about was finding him a good home. Then her husband came home and was mad at her for some reason so he threw the fish in the backyard.

I'd get another red devil if I had a tank to put one in, they're really pretty and fun to watch and smart, but they'll make life miserable for weaker fish.

Youngfresh329 07-31-2009 04:58 AM

well i ended up giving the red devil to the pet store an got 3 new additions to the tank i got 3 gourmis (they add a bit of flare to the tank till the others can eventually eat them) my flowerhorns an green terror seem a whole lot less stressed now an there back to getting comfortable

aunt kymmie 07-31-2009 10:15 AM

:shock: You added gouramis with the intention of letting them get the "snot" kicked out of them down the road??

DragonFish 07-31-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 220905)
:shock: You added gouramis with the intention of letting them get the "snot" kicked out of them down the road??

My exact thoughts :shock:

Youngfresh329 07-31-2009 12:04 PM

Yea Thats The Plan Kinda Cruel But You Know How It Is Big Fish Eats Little Fish

DragonFish 07-31-2009 01:25 PM

Well yes....but why Gouramis out of all the fish that could have been picked? If you want live food, why not breed some type of livebearer....or maybe even your LFS would give you some extra fry if you asked....I don't see Gourami as being a practical or healthy heathy 'feeder' fish Oo;

Unrulyevil 08-03-2009 11:58 AM

I wonder if name Red Devil ... tells me anything about how aggressive this fish is.... hmm... NAH perfectly fine!