Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Platty Fry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/platty-fry-2652/)

Matt 01-21-2007 06:01 PM

Platty Fry

my platty had babies last night and most of them are white and i think that there dead :cry: its my first set so i dont know anything about plattys.

also what do i feed the fry?

i put the mom in a breeders net and she poped couple hours later.could i have stressed her since i moved her and make her have still borns?

SUM 1 HELP ME!!!

musho3210 01-21-2007 06:44 PM

i dont think there dead. When babies are first born they dont move. Not until there yolk sack is gone will they start to move. About feeding you can hatch baby brine shrimp or you could buy comercially made fry food. Another easy way is to hard boil an egg and take some of the yolk. Take some aquarium water a mix a bit of yolk with the water. THen take a turky baster and squirt the yolk mixture at the babies little by little until they seem content. you can eat the rest of the yolk. dont feed the fry until they are swimming

fish_4_all 01-21-2007 08:38 PM

If it is her first batch then they might have been still born but keep on eye on them for 24 hours. If they don't swim around after that then they are likely dead. As for moving her into a breeder net, it shouldn't stress her too much, not enough to cause the early birth and the deaths if they did die.

Matt 01-21-2007 09:28 PM

sum are for sure alive and moving but the others are just sitting there and there pale. also sum are like cut in half like she poped out half and then poped the rest.

where can i get brine shrimp that i can hatch and how do i do it?

and i dont know if it is her first batch because i bought her and petsmart for $2. week later i seen eyes inside of her.

musho3210 01-21-2007 09:41 PM

you can buy brine shrimp hatery kits at petsmart

Radlations 01-21-2007 10:12 PM

i bought brine shrimp. Not baby brine shrimp but brine shrimp cubes by Sanfrancisco Bay.

Will they eat this?

musho3210 01-21-2007 10:14 PM

nope, they need to be newly hatched, live, baby brine shrimp. YOur adult fish will LOVE the frozen brine shrimp though

fish_4_all 01-21-2007 10:33 PM

You can use the brine shrimp cubes if you chop them up a little so they are small enough for the fry to eat. There is also a baby brine shrimp cube you can get specifically for fry and small fish. I usually only use crushed fish flakes and shrimp pellets along with Grindal worms for a live food, even the smallest egg hatched cories could eat them and my Swords fry gobble them up.

Matt 01-22-2007 08:33 AM

i found one of my dads old hatcherys but where do we get brine shrimp eggs or whatever and how do i feed them that.(i aint touchin them!!)

i dont want to order them online either.

Matt 01-23-2007 10:03 AM

I just feed them Egg Yolk and water mix and they didnt seem to do anything. But they are swimming freely now.