Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   sick fish with no direction (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/sick-fish-no-direction-26489/)

lillshy1 07-27-2009 03:02 PM

sick fish with no direction

I have a 20 gal community tank. We have a few Guppies, Platties, neon tetras ghost shrimp and just last sunday we bought 2 dalmation mollies and a black molly. We noticed a few days after buying the mollies that one of the dalmations has been "shivering" she has an appetite and will swim around but in the middle of a swim she will just stop and shake (almost seizure like) I was told that it was shimmy and to add a little more salt. since then one of my neons had developed a greyish spot on it (the blue neon line is now broken) so I was told to treat the tank with lifegard for 5 days and to pull my carbon filter out untill the treatment is done. Yesterday the tetra died. My water is stoll testing out ideal regarding the nitrate, nitrite and amonia. I don't know what I should be doing differently (or what we have done to cause this) I am afraid that I am going to loose them all
Any help would be much appreciated

Twistersmom 07-27-2009 04:00 PM

Hello & welcome to the forum.
Can you post your test results for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and ph? That would be a good place to start.

lillshy1 07-28-2009 07:35 AM

I am sorry that I don't have exact #'s. The strips that I purchased are just color coded with a number range. and then above the colors it states the safety level

The amonia is at a 0 it doesnt hardly change from the original color.
The Nitrite and nitrate - I am not sure of a numeric reading, but they also match up with the lowest level

Does this help or should I get different test kits?

dramaqueen 07-28-2009 07:47 AM

Test strips are not accurate. The API liquid master test kit is the one that is recommended by most people on the forum.

Twistersmom 07-28-2009 08:49 AM

How long has the tank been set up?
What is your tank maintenance routine?
What filter are you using?
What is the tempt of the tank?
Do your test stips also give a ph Reading?
Are you still in the process of medicating the tank?

Sometimes extra clean water can solve a lot of problems, through water changes and gravel cleanings.
Try to answer some of the above questions, when you have time.

lillshy1 07-28-2009 12:58 PM

Our tank has been set up since Feb 21

Maintenance - every 3 to 4 weeks I do a gravel cleaning and brush the walls of the tank. When I do the cleaning, I take about half of the water out and replace it with new water (from the tap) other than that I just top it off when it gets low. (the only time that I add salt to the new water is when I have removed water.
I use stress zyme and stress coat whenever I add new water.

The filter that we use is the one that came with the aquarium (we bought it at Petsmart)

The test strips do have a PH reading I will check it when I get home

We gave the last dose of lifegard last night and tonight I am supposed to do a 25% water change and put the carbon back in the filter

Byron 07-28-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillshy1 (Post 219353)
Our tank has been set up since Feb 21

Maintenance - every 3 to 4 weeks I do a gravel cleaning and brush the walls of the tank. When I do the cleaning, I take about half of the water out and replace it with new water (from the tap) other than that I just top it off when it gets low. (the only time that I add salt to the new water is when I have removed water.
I use stress zyme and stress coat whenever I add new water.

The filter that we use is the one that came with the aquarium (we bought it at Petsmart)

The test strips do have a PH reading I will check it when I get home

We gave the last dose of lifegard last night and tonight I am supposed to do a 25% water change and put the carbon back in the filter

Maintainance should be done every week, and involves only a partial water change [pwc] (25-40%) during which you vacuum the gravel. No need to do more, except scrape algae from the tank glass if there is any. Doing a pwc once a month means a significant change in water quality and parameters which is very stressful for the fish at the very least. Weekly pwc allows more stable water quality. Also, "topping up" evaporated water is not a good practice, better to remove some of the water and replace it (pwc).

I'm not sure stress zyme and stress coat is a water conditioner. You should use a good conditioner to rid the tap water of chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime is one.

Tetras do not like salt, it can cause internal problems. Salt is OK with mollies, but unnecessary. I wuld not add salt to a freshwater aquarium.

As Twistersmom said, a pwc can work miracles; i wold do them more often (every 3-4 days, about 1/3 the tank volume, with a good conditioner only) until things are normal, then weekly. With luck this will help the remaining fish to recover.

JohnnyD44 07-29-2009 07:44 AM

Good information from everyone on here, I just wanted to second what twistersmom said about picking up an API Liquid Test kit....the strips can be un-reliable and give a false reading. A good water test would give us some direction to go off of.

Anyway you would get your water tested using the API Test kit?

lillshy1 07-29-2009 11:33 AM

I will try to find the test kit tonight
Who would carry them
Petsmart, Walmart??

redlessi 07-29-2009 11:39 AM

petsmart has them