Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   What do you feed your corries? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/what-do-you-feed-your-corries-26446/)

JohnnyD44 07-26-2009 10:56 AM

What do you feed your corries?

Hey All,

I was just curious as to what kind of fish you all feed your catfish. Mine don't seem to like what I'm giving them, it just sits and decays at the bottom of the tank, which is causing some ammonia issues I think....lemme know!

Twistersmom 07-26-2009 12:00 PM

I don't feed my catfish fish. What kind of fish are you feeding them?
My corries get bloodworms, blackworms, shrimp, algae wafers, and sinking pellets.

JohnnyD44 07-26-2009 01:09 PM

i'm sorry not fish.....my fault haha

i feed them sinking pellets, but they dont' seem to be eating them, they sit there and dissolve slowly

Twistersmom 07-26-2009 01:13 PM

The frozen bloodworms are their favorite.

redlessi 07-26-2009 02:45 PM

I thought about getting frozen bloodworms, will the other fish (danios) eat them? I feed the cories sinking shrimp pellets and they and the danios love them.

jeaninel 07-26-2009 03:01 PM

I feed mine sinking shrimp pellets, NLS pellets, algae wafers, frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. They'll also scavenge whatever flake food makes it to the bottom.

Romad 07-26-2009 03:28 PM

Bloodworms don't have a prayer of making it to the bottom of my tank. They're pretty much gone in 20 seconds with the feeding frenzy at the top and middle of the tank.

My cories eat whatever drops to the bottom of flakes and they also eat the Hikari algae wafers that I throw in for the Pleco.

I call them my piggies.

Byron 07-27-2009 09:38 AM

Bottom dwellers need a variety of prepared foods the same as the upper fish if they are to be healthy; don't rely on them getting leftovers.

I use shrimp pellets (sinking), Nutrafin tablets, and vegetable (algae) discs, all of which sink immediately. The corys go after all of these; other fish do as well, but that's fine, I put enough in to ensure the corys get fed. This is the morning regime; I alternate between the three types each day to provide variety both for nutritional value and their interest.

In the evening I feed frozen bloodworms or daphnia. In both cases I use a tube thing I made with a bit of flexible air tubing and a 20-inch piece of hard tubing, and I can squirt bloodworms or daphnia anywhere so I ensure some reach the bottom. Frozen foods are useful because they appeal to the fish's instincts, but in terms of nutrition they are inferior to prepared foods. With the good foods available today, fish can be very healthy on prepared food alone. However, the frozen does get them "stirred up" more, and that in itself is healthy.

1077 07-27-2009 10:41 AM

I feed my cories a little of everything. Shrimp pellets,spirulina pellets,algae wafers,freezedried krill, frozen krill. frozen blood worms,frozen brine shrimp,ocean nutrition's omnivore flake.