Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Clown Loach Fluff... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/clown-loach-fluff-2643/)

fluffin 01-21-2007 09:15 AM

Clown Loach Fluff...

We have recently purchased a clown loach and today we noticed that it has a white fluffy kind of thing on the right hand side of his face (as you look at him) near his eye and on the left hand side a little bit down the side of his body but not as much as on the right.

It's Sunday and no aquariums are answering their phones so I assume they're shut hence why I signed up here, to see if anyone cold help.

Thank you.

lioness501 01-21-2007 09:30 AM

hi, im no expert but sounds like fungal/bacterial to me? the others on ere have more experience but wat r ur water parameters? r they normal? i believe if it is funus or bacteria, methylene blue will help??? please correct if i am wrong guys.

Lauri 01-21-2007 10:35 AM

What size tank do you have?
Do you test your water?

Could be cotton wool symptoms are..
White spots on mouth, edges of scales, and fins
Cottony growth that eats away at the mouth
Fins disintegrate beginning at the edges
'Saddleback' lesion near the dorsal fin
Fungus often invades the affected skin
Rapid gilling in cases where gills are infected

If these are symtoms treatment is..

Change water
Vacuum gravel
Add aquarium salt
Treat with copper sulfate or antibiotic
Discontinue carbon filtration during treatment
External infections should be treated with antibiotics or chemicals in the water. Copper sulfate, Acriflavine, Furan, and Terramycin may all be used externally to treat Columnaris. Terramycin has proven to be quite effective both as a bath, and when used to treat foods for internal infections. Salt may be added to the water to enhance gill function. Livebearers in particular will benefit from the addition of salt, however use caution when treating catfish, as many are sensitive to salt. I am almost sertain clown loaches are very sensitive When I had Ich I had to use a special treatment.

What size tank do you have?
Do you test your water?

fluffin 01-21-2007 06:08 PM

It's a 30L tank/bowl thingy.

Where can I get this special treatment from?

I haven't had the water tested for about a month now.

Funny question, how do you vacum the gravel? With the pump I assume? As in the pump to clean the water it, syphon (spelling?).

Lupin 01-21-2007 09:59 PM

Copper sulfate is available in your lfs. You'll need to upgrade your tank. 30 liters is far too small for clown loaches.

Other treatments for columnaris:
Sera Baktopur and Sera Baktopur Direct(tablet)
When using these meds, be sure to do it in a hospital tank, not the main tank as both medications can harm your beneficial bacteria. Be careful when dosing, half-dosage is recommended as clowns are far too sensitive with medications and salt(should be dissolved before added).

You siphon the gravel using the gravel vacuum. Not sure which pump you mean.:)

j.c fishfan 01-22-2007 02:26 AM

Blue,I think he means the filter?

Jamie :D

fluffin 01-22-2007 06:27 AM

I'm a she!!!!!

flatcam1 01-22-2007 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffin
I'm a she!!!!!

ROFL! :lol:

j.c fishfan 01-22-2007 06:55 AM

Im so sorry i didnt mean it like that i just made an assumption..

Im sorry

Jamie :D

fluffin 01-22-2007 08:03 AM

It's okay hon, no offense taken.

I did mean a gravel vacuum, I never knew such thing exsisted.

The reason we bought a Clown Loach is because we had a snail problem so we got rid of all our old plants, bought some new ones and the clown loach although we still have a snail problem.