Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   anyone type 2 diabetic here ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/anyone-type-2-diabetic-here-263570/)

willow 09-07-2013 01:32 PM

anyone type 2 diabetic here ?

evening all.
after feeling quite unwell for a while,i managed to get a virus on top,:cry:
a fever with it running at 105.3 for a few days on the run,left me with
extreme lethargy, and dehydration. and generally felt awful.
so i visited my local walk in hospital..dr gave me antibiotics and said i had
gastro-enteritis. i took the tablets for two days and noticed a rash covering
my body..mehhhh....so i went back to the walk in hospital,as this was one of the
side effects...met with another doctor,who got a nurse to do a blood glucose
test...which had a reading of 17.4, she said she was almost positive i was diabetic
due to the long list of things i told her,and said no way was it a gastro problem.
i was advised to have bloods done at my own gp which i did before i went away.
she advised me to buy some ketone sticks,and if i had a positive result go to A&E:shock:
my OH bought me a monitor and the week away i ran between 8-15
came back from vacation,eventually got my results and i'm Type 2.
he wants me to control it by diet and exercise.
so anyone here with diabetes ?
my grandfather had it,and my brother has Type1

Sakura8 09-13-2013 09:13 PM

Hi Willow. I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. :( My mom has had Type 1 diabetes for over 50 years now. I do know that it is easier to manage Type 2. I wish you the very best.

willow 09-14-2013 03:28 AM

aww bless you for replying :-D
thank you.

Romad 09-14-2013 12:09 PM

Willow so sorry to hear that you're feeling poorly :( My dad has type 2 and has kept it under control for many years with diet.

Once you change your diet (pretty radically at first), you'll start to feel a whole lot better. Wishing you well and hope you feel better soon.

willow 09-14-2013 01:54 PM

aww thanks Romad :-D
i just need to expand my mind on interesting things to have,:-)
i'm finding it interesting what foods cause the blood sugars to rise,
morning levels before food between 8-9
does your dad bother home testing ?

Romad 09-14-2013 02:07 PM

He does. He has a little pin prick gadgety thing and a machine that reads the levels. I tried it out and it's barely a pinch so not very invasive. I'm not sure how often he does it but initially it was daily.

By dieting, he dropped a lot of weight and pretty much stays away from the foods he's not supposed to eat so has been good for years now.

Edit: I should add that because I'm genetically predisposed, I've come close to being borderline myself a few times. Staying away from bread, pasta, potatoes (other than sweet potatoes) and flour based foods makes a huge difference.

A good start is to make these types of foods the occasional foods and not the mainstay of your diet.

Of course it's everything I love to eat. I'm Italian and grew up with the pasta and crusty breads. Sigh.......

willow 09-14-2013 04:49 PM

hey.:-)
i'm testing daily at the moment,just until i find my feet.
my vision seems to be improving by the day,so i'm guessing i'm on the right track.
bread..not such a biggie for me..pasta..oh dear i'm missing that..pots..not bothered..
and i like a bit of rice and noodles.....still i can't moan,as i have droped a bit of weight,
i wonder if nerve damage is reversible ? as one of my toes feels like
when you come out of the dentist.:-(
sounds like my monitor..no major biggie,and interesting to see what
the food does to me:shock: