Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   barbs dying (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/barbs-dying-26357/)

shelly80 07-24-2009 06:24 AM

barbs dying

I awoke yesterday to find that a Cherry Barb in my 38g had died there were no obvious signs of disease, so i checked my water parameters Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, pH 7.2, so all is fine there, later last night while watching them i could only see 4 Cherry Barb instead of 5 after a lot of searching i found her under a plant led on her side, i thought she was dead too. :cry: However as i was taking her out i noticed she was still breathing, I think she has either been in a fight or has fin rot as she only has half a tail fin left her dorsal fin is almost gone and on of her fins on her side is missing. I have placed her in the breeding net for safety she does appear to be eating, I also added some stress coat+ to the water to help with her fins. She is still led on her side but does try to move towards the food i put in, I really dont want to lose her too, but my question is who in my tank would she have been fighting with and if its fin rot why do the others not have it. There were no mark or missing fins on the barb that died.
Please can someone help work out what is going on.

Zombie 07-24-2009 06:26 AM

Hmm.... That's hard to say..

shelly80 07-24-2009 06:34 AM

have looked up fin rot and it doesnt seem to be that i dont think but who in my tank would be fighting with my barb????

Zombie 07-24-2009 06:36 AM

I'm not quite sure, sweetheart. Maybe one of the other barbs? Keep at eye on them and see if you notice any aggression.

shelly80 07-24-2009 06:39 AM

thats the thing they all seem quite lethargic at the moment, and they are all staying around the filter area. I really cant face loosing any more fish.

Zombie 07-24-2009 06:42 AM

Give them a decent waterchange, maybe? What are your readings as of now?

shelly80 07-24-2009 06:45 AM

Was doing 50% water changes daily until 3 days ago as nitrite was high, using TSS in the new water. Parameters are still at ammonia and nitrite 0 and nitrate 5.

Zombie 07-24-2009 06:55 AM

That's very odd. Maybe another member will come offer more information soon. I really wish I could help.

Fishin Pole 07-24-2009 07:03 AM

Shelly, do you know the ratio of males to females with your cherry barbs?............If you have less females than males, it could be the stress of all the males chasing the females around, especially if they are out numbered.........If this is the case, i would think adding more females would help...........You said about doing 50% water changes 3 days ago, what was your nitrate readings?..........What were your readings for ammonia and nitrite before the water change?.......These could also be determining factors on whats going on in your tank

shelly80 07-24-2009 07:15 AM

ammonia was 0 but nitrites were around 5-10 and nitrates were about 25. I started with 6 Cherry Barbs 2 were male 4 were female, im now down to 1 male 4 females so i dont think thats the problem. Im really stumped on what happening.