Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Powerheads on a 90g (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/powerheads-90g-263410/)

arnoldrew 09-07-2013 09:25 AM

Powerheads on a 90g

I’m new to saltwater fishkeeping, so I don’t have a lot of experience with powerheads. I bought my 90g saltwater tank off of Craigslist and it came with two powerheads. I had read that it’s generally better to have three (two across the front and one across the back). However, I noticed that my ocellaris and pajama cardinals seemed to be getting blown about quite a bit. I checked the powerheads and two of them are Oceanstreams (1600gph each) and the other is a Koralia 4 (1200gph). That seemed like a bit much, so I cut off one of the Oceanstreams. I’m worried it might still be too much and my poor fish might exhaust themselves swimming against the current. I have at my disposal the previously mentioned powerheads as well as a Koralia 1 (400gph) and a Hydor Nano 425 (425gph). What would be the best combination to use on my tank? I have 2 ocellaris clownfish, 3 pajama cardinalfish, 2 pencil urchins, and 2 small frogspawns (the gooey top parts are about the size of a golf ball).

GwenInNM 09-08-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldrew (Post 2965994)
Iím new to saltwater fishkeeping, so I donít have a lot of experience with powerheads. I bought my 90g saltwater tank off of Craigslist and it came with two powerheads. I had read that itís generally better to have three (two across the front and one across the back). However, I noticed that my ocellaris and pajama cardinals seemed to be getting blown about quite a bit. I checked the powerheads and two of them are Oceanstreams (1600gph each) and the other is a Koralia 4 (1200gph). That seemed like a bit much, so I cut off one of the Oceanstreams. Iím worried it might still be too much and my poor fish might exhaust themselves swimming against the current. I have at my disposal the previously mentioned powerheads as well as a Koralia 1 (400gph) and a Hydor Nano 425 (425gph). What would be the best combination to use on my tank? I have 2 ocellaris clownfish, 3 pajama cardinalfish, 2 pencil urchins, and 2 small frogspawns (the gooey top parts are about the size of a golf ball).

I'd try one Koralia and one Oceanstream at opposite side of tank, pointing upward to create water movement on top. Put them on the sides, not on the back, and see how that works. It sounds like you have too much water movement with 3.

arnoldrew 09-08-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 2972161)
I'd try one Koralia and one Oceanstream at opposite side of tank, pointing upward to create water movement on top. Put them on the sides, not on the back, and see how that works. It sounds like you have too much water movement with 3.

That's pretty much what I'm doing right now. Thanks for the help.