Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   How is this stocking? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-stocking-26324/)

Snapple 07-23-2009 03:56 PM

How is this stocking?

30g tank
Cascade 1000
Penguin 200

1 rainbow shark
1 zebra pleco
5 neon blue drawf gourmies
5 tiger barbs

If you think it is overstocked. Whay combo of the above fish would you use?

DragonFish 07-23-2009 04:08 PM

Hmm....I think maybe a little overstocked.

I'd ditch the shark all together, they need around 50 gallons or so. I think 5 Gourami would be a bit much, I'd say just one when we're talking about dwarf species for almost all that are sold are male and more then one mature male in most cases is just asking for trouble. I'd up the school of tiger barbs to....7-8 maybe?(anyone else?). I hear greens, normals, and albinos will all school together so you could mix.
Dunno about the Zebra Pleco.....I know there are some that get large and some that say smaller but never been a pleco person myself so I'll let someone else comment about him...

Snapple 07-23-2009 04:22 PM

Whoops make that 2 gourmies...maybe 1

I have been reading about the rainbow shark. He may be a too territorial in the 30g, but read that people have had them in a 30g with sucess. I was just hoping I would get lucky with him.
According to liveaquaria the zebra pleco is fine for a 30g. That site also says this about the gourmies "If in a pair the two fish will swim together."
Don't know if that site is right though.

EDIT: Holy ****!! I didn't notice that pleco was $300. I think I will go with the Starry Night Pleco

DragonFish 07-23-2009 04:34 PM

Two Gouramis would be a disaster, I'll tell you right now. Two males will fight, one will assume dominance over the other, and eventually kill him. If your lucky enough to get a pair(male and female)the male will harass the female to death.

They can live in a 30 gallon, but they won't thrive. Chances are they'd be stunted as well as their true full size is around 5-6 in. and in most cases you hear them reaching only about 4 in. I honestly wouldn't put one in anything less then a 50 gallon. I did quite a bit of research on these a while back.
You also may have territorial problems with him and the Pleco too.
Hmmm....looks like the Pleco doesn't get too big(looked it up)you'll probably be fine.

Fishin Pole 07-23-2009 05:25 PM

He asked about dwarf gouramis, and yes, i agree 5 is WAY to many for your tank, but 2 may work if you give them some cover from floating plants and break up the lines of sight with tall plants......The dwarfs are suppose to me more docile than their larger cousins......They dont usually get bigger than 2 1/2 inches, but some 3 .....Remember, i said it MAY work out with 2 of them.........Now the tiger barbs are a different story....i would just be sorta leary of putting barbs and gouramis together in a tank that size....Tiger Barbs are notorious fin nippers and usually will just bicker amongst themselves, but with the gourami having long fins to nip at, i dont think the tiger barbs will be able to behave themselves........In a larger tank, like a 55, if setup correctly it wouldnt be a problem, in my opinion......The shark i think really is a bad idea for your tank size........An alternative to the tiger barbs, could be cherry barbs.........usually less nippy than most barbs, they would be a better fit with gouramis...For a pleco, i suggest a bristlenose for your tank size.........Hope this helps you out and good luck with

DragonFish 07-23-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin Pole (Post 217671)
He asked about dwarf gouramis

Haha, I wasn't clear enough was I? Darn my multitasking...I need to stop that...
Yup, I meant dwarfs. IME two dwarfs are a complete disaster. I do advise just getting one.
Hmm....I didn't think Gourami fins would be long and flowy enough to tempt a tiger barb....*shrugs* Learned something new ;-)

Guppyluver4ever 07-24-2009 07:42 PM

listen stick with 7 tiger barbs, 1 dwarf gourami, and the starry night pleco, and thats it, DON'T try anything that could hurt any of your fish and anyway thats as much as you can stock in the 30 gallon tank

Herky 07-24-2009 10:42 PM

I have 3 dwarf blues in a 29 gallon and have had them for going on 7 months together. They fight occasionally but I have lots of places to hide and lots of plants for cover. If you don't I wouldn't recommend them together. I suppose it depends on a fish by fish basis too.