Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   A little stocking question.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/little-stocking-question-26316/)

DragonFish 07-23-2009 01:13 PM

A little stocking question....

Hmm.....well I'd assume this would be better place to ask about stocking....

So a simple question, my 50 bow front community is looking a little....empty. Dunno how else to describe it :lol: I do think I'm a little under stocked....which of course isn't a bad thing, but I would like a few more fish. Not many, probably 3-4 would be the absolute highest I'd go.
Anyway, my current stock can be seen if you click the link to y 50 on my siggy.
Yes, I have Platys and no they are not mass producing because my Angel and Gourami eat the fry(I've yet to be able to save even one)and I don't have 'proper' hiding for them. Not that thats a bad thing, but I'd just like to point it out that there are no worries with fry.
Also as far as the Corys and Kuhli go, my tank isn't quite suited for them. They were sold to me during the beginning of my hobby days when I was ignorant and listened to the people at the store. Now I am aware of their needs and have no way to return them so I'm stuck with them and would rather not add more until I get my 55 and get it all set up and whatnot with smaller, smoother gravel(possibly sand). I'll move both Corys and the Kuhli over there and get them companions when this happens but for now they'll have to stay as is.

So, now that thats all straitened away. Suggestions for a couple more fish anyone? Thought I'd as for opinions, can't seem to decide myself :oops::lol:

Fishin Pole 07-23-2009 02:15 PM

some type of rainbow fish would make a nice addition to your tank.........Bosemani, Australian, Turquoise are just a few species to mention............

DragonFish 07-23-2009 02:25 PM

Oooh, Rainbow Fish.....reminds me of one of my fav stories as a kid :lol:
I'll definitely look into those more, heard of them and seen a couple before but never really took the time to research them. Thank you :-)

Fishin Pole 07-23-2009 02:32 PM

your welcome............if its possible, i would suggest you get all males......with females in the tank, it could get a little crazy with movement, the angelfish might not appreciate all the commotion

DragonFish 07-23-2009 02:50 PM

Alright, sounds good. I'm looking a bit deeper into them now....seems most get a little bigger though and need a school of around six....was hoping for something maybe around 2-3in. I see some that are smaller, I'd probably go for those if my LPS has 'em. Looks like I'll be making a scouting trip sometime in the near future ;-) I wonder if my LPS gets frustrated by all the 'scouting trips' I make.....lol
Still thinking however, may go for something entirely different in the end....

Romad 07-23-2009 03:09 PM

You will never have a dull moment in the tank with Bosemani rainbows. i have two males and although they are not aggressive in the sense that they won't nip the other fish - come feeding time they will chase everyone away until they decide the other fish can get some. They are gorgeous and are always the first two to come to the glass and "beg" for food when they see me in the morning.

Not sure if tiger barbs would be a good match for you but i have 4 green ones (John, Paul, George, and Ringo). They are beautiful fish and very playful with each other. Now if I can only get them to sing........ LOL.

Good luck and let us know what you end up deciding.

DragonFish 07-23-2009 03:33 PM

Haha, I know my LPS has Bosemani I've seen them there....but true to my nature I'm looking for the slightly less common. Dunno, something just appeals to me about things that aren't as popular....
Dwarf neons really catch my eye, I have those on my list currently ;-)

Oh gosh I'd kill for a school of tiger barbs, I've always wanted a few green and albino(like six or maybe more)but had been avoiding them because of my Angel and I'm not sure if I have enough room for a proper school to avoid him getting fin-nipped...and theres still the risk....

I'll be sure to let you guys know what I do decide in the end ;-)

Zombie 07-24-2009 04:54 PM

Hmmm, maybe you should research more into the rainbows. I may start planning ANOTHER tank but this time for ghost cats. I love the little buggars. LOL their so adorable and lively. Maybe another 10 for a common goldfish, too.... I need to stop wanting more tanks! LOL that MTS got me!

DragonFish 07-24-2009 05:03 PM

lol, that evil, evil MTS :twisted:

Yup, been looking more into rainbows and I so far have the Neon Dwarf and the Featherfin on my 'list'. Not sure if my LPS has them though.
Due to my indecisiveness, I may just let my brother help me out here and have him pick out a couple fish(provided they are appropriate for the tank of course). :lol:

Zombie 07-24-2009 05:16 PM

Yeah. I've been close to that a few times.