Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   The Ration of Tetra's to Gallons? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/ration-tetras-gallons-26305/)

southafrica1001 07-23-2009 07:11 AM

The Ration of Tetra's to Gallons?

Hey,
My 29 gallon is now very bare and I am looking to plant it. I love tetra's and right now I only have 7 cardinal's in the 29 gallon. I am looking to move the six from my 8 gallon in the 29 gallon (as a few are being chased by my betta) and I was wondering how many more cardinals would be save to put in there.
I might put some other tetra's in but my LFS doesn't have a large variety.
Thanks

Fishin Pole 07-23-2009 10:10 AM

a total of 20 would work in your 29........Very small bio-load, with tetras, you can throw out the 1inch rule.........You might want to consider a small shoal of cories for the bottom............Good Luck!

southafrica1001 07-23-2009 12:03 PM

^ Thank you =D, In my smaller tank I also have a type of tetra that is a similar size to the cardinals but they seem to hang around the top more then the cardinals, could I do a 10 - 10 split or anything that added to about 20 tetra's?

Would cories work well with some cherry shrimp? (I know this is the wrong section) I am thinking about getting some cherry shrimp and Im guessing the tetra's will do fine with them.

Fishin Pole 07-23-2009 12:11 PM

i think if the other tetras are gonna be the same size as the cardinals at maturity, then you should be fine with them........Do you know what type of tetra you have in the other tank?.........I would do the 10/10 split, the fish will thank you..........having a nice shoal of their own..........I think cories would be fine with cherry shrimp, never heard of them going after shrimp, but you never know..........I have about 40 cherries in my one tetra tank and the tetras never bother them, but i have alot of cover for the shrimp in the tank

southafrica1001 07-23-2009 12:24 PM

^ I've tried looking for the breed of tetra and I can't remember if there was a label on the tank in my LFS. A description would be - They are the same/similar size to a cardinal and their body shape and fins are very much like a cardinals. Most of their body is see through and they have an orange stripe with a black stripe under neath that starts in the middle of their bodies and goes to the start of their tail (much like a neon or cardinal's strips). I can try get a picture.

How many cories would be a nice size I want it to be mostly planted. I do have one right now (the others died off) and I think Ill take him/her back as my LFS doesn't always get the same type of cories in so it might be better to get 3-4 bronze cories? Does that sound about right?.

Also how many shrimp?

Thanks again for all the help and sorry for the questions.

Fishin Pole 07-23-2009 12:43 PM

no need to apologize for asking questions......thats what the forum is for......Sounds like your other tetra is a glo-light tetra......Google it and see if thats what they look like.........With the cories, i would do a minimum of at least 3, keeping the one you have now would be fine, different species of cories will hang out and get along.....With the shrimp, i would start with 10 (also have a very small bio-load).....They will breed for you like rabbits after they establish themselves in your tank.........All they fore mentioned species will really enjoy a planted tank...........Good luck and feel free to sk more questions if neccessary

southafrica1001 07-23-2009 12:51 PM

^ I was actually just looking at them XD, Yes they do seem like them but Ill check in when I go in the next few days, I do think they are Glo-lights as I can't find any other tetra that fits their description or looks like them.

Ok I'll see what Ill do with my other cory but I think ill take him/her back and rather get some bronze cories.

I want to move my cardinals from my smaller tank into my 29g so that would be 13 cardinals. Could I still get away with 8-10 glo light tetras or should I rather just go with 20 cardinals?

southafrica1001 07-23-2009 03:22 PM

So Im thinking -

13 Cardinal tetras
8-10 glowlight tetras (or stick with 20 cardinal if I am adding to many fish)
3 bronze cories ( Im not sure still)
6-8 Cherry shrimp

Fishin Pole 07-23-2009 04:07 PM

looks good to me.........i would go with the 8 to 10 glowlight tetras, plus the cardinals you already......just for a little more splash of color.....Your stocking list makes for a good looking tank....Wish you the best of luck!

southafrica1001 07-23-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin Pole (Post 217631)
looks good to me.........i would go with the 8 to 10 glowlight tetras, plus the cardinals you already......just for a little more splash of color.....Your stocking list makes for a good looking tank....Wish you the best of luck!

Thank you =D and thanks alot for all your help C=