Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Aquarium Peat Plates? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/aquarium-peat-plates-26303/)

southafrica1001 07-23-2009 05:20 AM

Aquarium Peat Plates?

I have bought some recently and I was wondering if they are a bad idea to put into my 29 gallon aquarium. I am looking to plant it and I would be putting a layer of fine gravel on top.

How much should I put aswell.

Thanks C=

southafrica1001 07-23-2009 05:51 AM

Oh whoops one of my questions weren't that specific.

How much of the peat plate should I put into the tank?

Unrulyevil 07-23-2009 12:04 PM

sorry but what's a Peat plate?

southafrica1001 07-23-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unrulyevil (Post 217550)
sorry but what's a Peat plate?

http://www.animal-house.co.uk/acatal...rtilplates.jpg

^ That is what they look like and the brand that I have.

They are meant to help anchor the plant roots aswell as provide them with nutrients.

Unrulyevil 07-23-2009 12:36 PM

Ok .. sure you can use them but since they are fertilizers you need to be careful here. One needs to have total balance of light - plants - macro and micro nutrients in the tank to be successful. If one of these is off balance your aquarium experience could turn in to nightmare. Everything has to be balanced out. Since you adding ferts to your tank with these plates ...I would recommend you to buy as much plants as you can right away .. so that they will absorb all those nutrients thus leaving nothing for algae. Also make sure that depending on what plants you getting to get proper lighting.

southafrica1001 07-23-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unrulyevil (Post 217568)
Ok .. sure you can use them but since they are fertilizers you need to be careful here. One needs to have total balance of light - plants - macro and micro nutrients in the tank to be successful. If one of these is off balance your aquarium experience could turn in to nightmare. Everything has to be balanced out. Since you adding ferts to your tank with these plates ...I would recommend you to buy as much plants as you can right away .. so that they will absorb all those nutrients thus leaving nothing for algae. Also make sure that depending on what plants you getting to get proper lighting.

Thank you =D. I have enough to fill the tank but I think I will use less and I won't cover the entire tank, I have a Co2 type diffuser for my 8 gallon that I may be able to use for my 29 gallon as well (I've heard that it can help reduce algae levels)
I will be buying the plants two days after ( or should I buy them sooner?)

Unrulyevil 07-23-2009 02:24 PM

Co2.. help with algae.. yea it could.. if you accelerate plant grow to accommodate nutrient absorption.. tricky stuff.. real tricky

if you fail with this.. you will have algae heaven and aquarium hell :)

southafrica1001 07-23-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unrulyevil (Post 217604)
Co2.. help with algae.. yea it could.. if you accelerate plant grow to accommodate nutrient absorption.. tricky stuff.. real tricky

if you fail with this.. you will have algae heaven and aquarium hell :)

XD Ok well I think I will try with co2 and lots of plants as you said and Ill also use only a bit of the peat plate

SinCrisis 07-29-2009 08:04 AM

does that product melt into mud or break down? If so, the brazilian nut effect would eventually sink your gravel, regardless of size it is, and the mud would be on top and make the water cloudy and gross. Also, peat has tannins, it would stain your water a teaish color and drop your PH a little. I heard that peat is way more effective than driftwood in lowering PH so you should be careful about that.