Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking 29 Gallon Freshwater Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-29-gallon-freshwater-tank-26273/)

elliott03 07-22-2009 12:39 PM

Stocking 29 Gallon Freshwater Tank

I'm about to start over with my 29 gallon tank. I'm hoping to get a small needlenose gar, a small bottom feeding plecostamus, and possibly some swordtails/platys. And eventually some fire-mouth cichlids and bala sharks. I would like to know if these fish are compatible. I realize that the needlenose and plecostamus will outgrow the tank but I have a bigger tank to move them into when that happens. Thanks for the help

rgs1975 07-22-2009 12:51 PM

Those Bala Sharks will outgrow the tank as well. They get to well over a foot long. I've heard bad things about housing more than one Bala in the same tank unless the tank is huge.

Fishin Pole 07-22-2009 01:17 PM

Kepping a gar in an aquarium is a very daunting task.........These fish get huge!!, and will eat your platys and swords eventually.....with the exception of the swords and platys, all the other fish will outgrow the tank very quickly.......I think you might have an aggression issue with the firemouths and the gar.......How large of a tank do you have to put them in when they outgrow the 29 gallon?

elliott03 07-22-2009 01:35 PM

It's a 50 gallon but I would like to keep these fish together for awhile so I'll probably hold off on some of them. I'll for sure get the pleco but I won't get the gar. So I'll have the fire-mouthed cichlids no balas and yes on both the swordtails and platys. Will this work for now?

Fishin Pole 07-22-2009 01:45 PM

That should work for awhile in a 29 gallon.....One thing to watch for though, if you get a male and female firemouth, they could take their aggression out on your swords and platys..............A breeding pair of cichlids with docile fish, could get real ugly

elliott03 07-22-2009 02:13 PM

Allright I'll keep an eye on them. Does anyone know how hard it is to breed a pair of fire mouth cichlids? And they are egg layers correct?

Fishin Pole 07-23-2009 06:04 AM

Yes, they are egg layers...........They arent hard to breed, but i think the hardest part is making sure your getting a male and female.......I personally think these fish are hard to sex when they are very small, until they reach about the 3 inch mark.......I would remove any other fish from your tank once they have eggs in the tank.......They get rather aggressive towards other fish when they are playing parents to fry........

Guppyluver4ever 07-24-2009 06:28 PM

you cant put no cichlids with PLATYS AND SWORSTAILS!~!~!~!~!~!

elliott03 07-24-2009 07:00 PM

UGH! I'm getting mixed messages from everywhere. So cichlids don't work well with platys/swordtails? I realy would like these 3 fish in my tank if it can be done.

DragonFish 07-25-2009 09:47 PM

Nah, I wouldn't risk it if I were you for various reasons.