Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New 55 gallon tank question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-55-gallon-tank-question-26263/)

Earhog 07-22-2009 08:34 AM

New 55 gallon tank question

I just set up my 55 gallon tank yesterday to start the cycling process. The only thing i have in the tank is the gravel and an emperor 400 filter. The filter is pretty new that I bought off craigslist and was used last for salt water. But I cleaned the filter before I put it on my tank. It has only been one day, but I have tons of floating white particles. I can't tell if it is tons of tiny air bubbles, or something else. I can only see them when the lights are on. Is this normal and will they settle out?

Byron 07-23-2009 11:28 AM

Air bubbles are always present in new tanks when all fresh water, and usually dissipate within a couple of days. They will cling to the glass sides and float on the surface, and cling to any rock, wood, filter tubes, heaters, etc in the water. You can easily remove them from the glass with your hand and they bob to the surface. Is this what you have?

If it is not bubbles but particles of something, are they suspended (floating) throughout the water, or just on the surface? if the latter, use a small net and remove them, then see if they return.

Earhog 07-23-2009 11:56 AM

yes its air bubbles, but im also thinking its my bacterial bloom as well.

Unrulyevil 07-23-2009 02:21 PM

I'm thinking its a little too early for bacterial bloom.. besides you dont really see bacterial bloom.. what you do see.. and it also appears white is algae bloom.. which is not the case here.

jeaninel 07-23-2009 07:00 PM

You won't have a bacterial bloom until you have a source of ammonia in the tank, such as fish.

Earhog 07-23-2009 09:10 PM

Well I have used bio wheels and filters which have bacteria in them. The water is lighty milky after 3 days I don't believe they are all air bubbles, and I don't understand you saying you don't see a bacterial bloom, it turns your water a milky white.

JohnnyD44 07-24-2009 07:10 AM

what did you use to clean your filter? If you bought a used filter and bio-wheels....did you buy them off of a running tank or did you buy them from someone who hasnt used them in a while? What are you water parameters?

Earhog 07-24-2009 01:23 PM

Bought off a running tank... I just cleaned the parts with water, filters with de-chlorinated water, didnt clean the bio-wheels. I haven't been able to test my water parameters yet.

jeaninel 07-24-2009 02:37 PM

If there are no fish in the tank you might want to add a pinch of fish food. The bacteria that was living on the filter need an ammonia source to survive otherwise they will die off.

Earhog 07-24-2009 02:59 PM

Ya, i threw some fish food in the other day, ill add some more. I am also going to buy some fish to cycle the tank soon.