Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Room behind tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/room-behind-tank-26161/)

love_my_fish 07-19-2009 08:32 PM

Room behind tank

Okay, probably a weird question, but before I fill my tank -- how much space should I leave behind it in case I want to add on a hang on back power filter? I plan to use a canister filter, but just in case I decide I need more filtration/flow (for a 90 gallon mbuna tank), how much room should be behind the tank?

I prefer to get as close to the wall as possible -- any other reason I may want to keep some extra room back there? Other options to a HOB if the need arises?

Twistersmom 07-19-2009 09:06 PM

A 5 inch space would leave room for a good sized HOB filter & you will need a small amount of space to run any heater/ powerhead cords.
Canister filters are great, but if you come across a good deal, you might decide to run both a HOB and canister. That would give you good filtration on both sides of the tank.

buzz4520 07-19-2009 10:43 PM

i would leave more than 5 inches, if you wanted to go with an ac110 or emporer400 you'll need about 10 inches. i have an ac110 on my tank and it sits about 1 ft from the wall.

Fishin Pole 07-20-2009 08:20 AM

i would go at least a minimum of a foot away from the wall, especially if its a drywall wall.....Your gonna want some type of airflow behind your tank or you run the risk of developing mold or fungus on the wall..........Naturally drywall will soak up available moisture if given the oppurtunity................I wouldnt want to pull the tank apart 2 years from now to patch the wall behind it..........Maybe im being paranoid, but i always look at what COULD happen and try to plan ahead and avoid issues down the road..........Maybe its my ways?

love_my_fish 07-20-2009 10:10 AM

Interesting point about the moisture - even with covers, wonder how much mositure actually could build up on the wall. I don't like leaving a lot of space due to having children and a cat. Guess I'll have to attach a board to the sides to block the back. I think 6 inches is about all I could handle though. Have to play around with it tonight.

Christian Patti 07-23-2009 05:52 PM

I have a decent size biowheel HOB filter and 4 inches is just enough room for it. Also moisture buildup on the wall will NOT be a problem unless your spraying water on the wall lol. Trust me I used to build houses.

Fishin Pole 07-23-2009 06:06 PM

having built houses also, i know that drywall is paperbacked.....It can and will draw in moisture, even thru paint if given the oppurtunity........Risking mold and fungus right behind your filter is something i dont think is wise....If it gets into your tank water, the wrong fungus or mold could possibly kill all your fish and rather quickly....Its something i wouldnt risk for a few more inches in my room..........Good airflow will also help if your using high intensity lights that throw heat, allowing your water a more stable temp.....

jeaninel 07-23-2009 07:43 PM

I have about 5" space behind my 55 gallon with a Penguin 350 biowheel and a Whisper 60. The tank's been up and running for about 2 years now. I have no issue with moisture on the wall. It's dry as a bone.