Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   What is my new Clown plec doing? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/what-my-new-clown-plec-doing-261234/)

Agent13 09-03-2013 03:26 PM

What is my new Clown plec doing?

I went to my trusted LFS today to replace some clown loaches my son culled a few days ago and also ended up with a very cute clown pleco as well. They said they were holding it for the last month for a lady who never came to buy it and therefor I felt safe to put it in my 75 community right away. Never owned a pleco so don't completely know their behaviors but I swear I thought they didn't prefer meaty food or predate on live tank mates. Correct me if I'm wrong..anyone.. But I am confused at what it's been doing(yes underwater camera will go in and get pics once I've charged the battery;-)). At first it was eating a little algae and roaming the perimeters of the tank. But after a few hours and a greeting from my bichir(that was interesting..and non aggressive thank god) it started hanging out with a mystery snail. Now it's taken the snail about half a foot from where it was and has shoved it into one of the hidey holes for the clown loaches. Eating a snail?? What in the world? Or are they playful and it find shoving around a snail fun? (yes I know how naive that just sounded lol). I don't mind the snail being eaten but what the heck? Please share with me pleco behaviors..I am curious now about this new guy.

rexpepper651 09-04-2013 09:25 AM

i never had a clown pleco but my common would swim backwards on the surface and eat as many blood worms it could before the rest of my fish would eat the rest. i didnty think they would eat snails either? i found this. while searching "To my knowledge, plecos are scavengers and will eat just about anything that's smaller than its head, including fish, so, no, I've never heard of it, but it doesn't surprise me. I've heard of plecos eating neon tetras (!)" donno how true it is, but maybe this is where my baby cory cat disappeared to!

jaysee 09-04-2013 09:33 AM

hmmm, thats interesting.....

Agent13 09-04-2013 09:39 AM

but the Snail is HUGE bigger then it's head lol. It's so strange.

arnoldrew 09-04-2013 10:17 AM

I know the larger plecos (such as sailfin and rhinoes) have a tendency to get more carnivorous as they get older, but I don't know about the dwarf varieties.

Agent13 09-04-2013 11:07 AM

Not only is this a dwarf pleco but it's a young one. But clearly it isn't only a fan of veggies and algae. I took the snail out to see if there was indication of bite marks (he tossed it out of the hole and is back to eating algae today) .. it most certainly was partially eaten. Should I leave the most likely now dead snail in the tank? There are loaches in there or should I toss it.
perhaps this odd behavior is why my bichir came out of it's home to hang out with the pleco for a few minutes. When the bichir takes a disliking to a fish it usually is obvious with aggressive whipping around of it's body before returning home then preys upon the fish it doesn't like at night. the bichir just swam up to the clown plec who was next to to large snail and sat for a minute the swam over it and nudged at a few times then went back home. I have never seen my bichir interact with another fish that way. Normally I know a decent amount about a fish before I buy it but I only knew this ones adult size and supposed dietary needs which obviously aren't accurate.

kooky112 09-07-2013 09:38 PM

I had a normal pleco once that tried eating my dwarf frogs I had at the time... Starting with the legs!

Agent13 09-07-2013 11:48 PM

I will just expect odd things from this guy. He has now made a strange friendship with the bichir which is MUCH larger then little clown pleco. They often sleep together in the roman columns in my tank. "The odd couple" lol

Agent13 10-03-2013 07:43 PM

Just an update.. They are in fact still great friends. Baybay is now 7.5 inches and has eaten many fish. My main fish seem to be safe from him and most certainly the clown pleco! They seem to be possibly partners in crime...well if not that they do at least live together despite the ridiculous size difference. I know this sounds crazy but part o me feels the bichir respects the clown plec for it murder of a snail within the first hour in the tank lol.

jaysee 10-03-2013 07:47 PM

You know what they say - first day you have to kick someone's butt or become someone's ......