Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Help please, for new tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-please-new-tank-2609/)

scottysgirl 01-19-2007 10:00 PM

Help please, for new tank

Hi, I am setting up a 40 gallon hex for an Oscar. Yes I know this tank size is a bit small for an Oscar but several well educated people have told me this is OK with frequent water changes. Is it OK to use sand in this tank? Are there special conciderations to take into account when using sand? Also, I have heard that it is OK to use playground sand in an aquarium, is this true? And will I need to use an airstone in addition to a canister filter to get enough oxygen into the water?
Thanks!

joeshmoe 01-19-2007 10:02 PM

Re: Help please, for new tank

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottysgirl
Hi, I am setting up a 40 gallon hex for an Oscar. Yes I know this tank size is a bit small for an Oscar but several well educated people have told me this is OK with frequent water changes. Is it OK to use sand in this tank? Are there special conciderations to take into account when using sand? Also, I have heard that it is OK to use playground sand in an aquarium, is this true? And will I need to use an airstone in addition to a canister filter to get enough oxygen into the water?
Thanks!

yup just make sure u wash it realy well. and airs stones allways help :P it cant hurt to put it in

musho3210 01-20-2007 12:03 AM

drop some vinegar on the sand, if it fizzes then dont use it, if its fine, boil it for a while, then rinse and boil again. Sifting it wouldnt be too bad either and it isnt that bad to let it sit in water over night.

Aquaticmoon 01-20-2007 01:11 AM

May I suggest pool filter sand over playsand due to the grain size. Playsand is so small (0.7mm) that it will compact over time, and may form anaerobic pockets.

A airstone will not be needed, but like Joe said it can't hurt. :wink:

musho3210 01-20-2007 10:33 AM

anearobic spots are good and bad. There is a mix of bacteria that lives there. Some of the bacteria produces hydrogen sulphate (i think its this, correct me if im wrong) and hydrogen sulphate really stinks. But some other bacteria eats nitrates and turns it into nitrogen which then just leaves the water into the atmosphere. But since you seem like a begginer, i woulsnt try playing with anearobic bacteria.

Nick 01-20-2007 04:58 PM

Playsand will work fine in any aquarium. Just make sure that you dont just get the gravel vac and stick it in the sand. You have to do a swirling motion over the sand to get debris and etc. off of the top and to help not have dead spots. Sand looks great over gravel IMO but when the fish poop, you can really see it, like if you will ever get a pleco. lol.

Nick

scottysgirl 01-21-2007 01:01 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I think I am going to use a fluval 304 canister filter. Is this a good choice?
Thanks

musho3210 01-21-2007 01:22 PM

i dont know much about models and stuff but canister filters are very good.