Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Petco or Petsmart (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/petco-petsmart-2608/)

musho3210 01-19-2007 08:05 PM

Petco or Petsmart

Here is a poll on what major retailer is better (they both arent that good but dont lie, im sure many of you have bought fish or other livestock here)

herefishy 01-19-2007 08:27 PM

I wish there was another answer, like none of the above. Shopping those places is like buying fish from Wal-Mart only worse.

musho3210 01-19-2007 08:39 PM

yeah they both suck but i think petsmart is a bit better, maybe just because petco seems to take better care of the fish, but still, i like my local pet store the most.

joeshmoe 01-19-2007 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herefishy
I wish there was another answer, like none of the above. Shopping those places is like buying fish from Wal-Mart only worse.

well there not that bad, or mybe its just by me but mines clean n healthy. there are no other lfs by me .:cry:

musho3210 01-19-2007 10:55 PM

The petco near me is terrible, full of dead fish, all fish were pale, bad store managers, i felt so bad i had to buy some fish, so i got 2 danios there and there still fine

Lupin 01-19-2007 11:38 PM

There are people in other forums volunteering to do anything to improve the accuracy of the information stated on each tank.:wink2: Who would ever know a clown loach reaches only 4 inches?:dunno: I've heard from some US citizens that there are times when you see information in such stores very inaccurate and will apparently misguide every beginner there is.:shake:

I'm not a US citizen myself but I do learn everything by interacting with other people and brainstorming ideas on how improve anything that needs to be improve.:)

musho3210 01-20-2007 08:54 AM

yeah, at petsmart the other day (i was there for my dog) i looked at the oscars and they told you they could fit in a 30 gallon tank and they also say there maxiumum size is 10 inches. THen i looked at the koi and they said they needed a minimum size of 20 gallons. Angels needed 10 gallons etc. At least they got goldfish right with 30 gallons

Lauri 01-20-2007 09:19 AM

Personaly I dont think its fair to say either store is "BAD" I agree some of them give out the wrong information. If this upsets you so why not start a petition in your area try to make a change at your local store. I have gone to petsmart and yes I have seen some things that upset me as far as their tanks are concerned but I have gone to a different petsmart only a few miles away from the first one and they were wonderful nice tanks well cared for fish with proper information. I think it all boils down to the employees of store. Are they willing to take their job seriously and care for the fish? Or are the just there to make a buck? Every store is different in every county, city, state, country. As a fish keeper all I can do is look for the best place to purchase my fish. Personally I am very lucky and have a wonderful lfs. But some of us may not be and their local petsmart or petco or walmart maybe the only place they have. We all do our best when it comes to our hobby. :)

musho3210 01-20-2007 09:30 AM

i hate wal-mart........ not because of fish, because its a monopoly.

dprUsh83 01-20-2007 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musho3210
i hate wal-mart........ not because of fish, because its a monopoly.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...don't we all. Truth is, we'd monopolize any industry in a second if we were capable; they did it and now they are enjoying the benefits. I'd love to see a competitor step in, but with their logistic setup it's not going to happen. In my area, LFS and Little shops in general are run by a-holes...I want to support the local economy, but if I'm going to be treated generically I might as well save 25-50%.

As far as pet stores, Petco all the way. In this area the tanks are immaculate! That's also where I bought my mouse. :P