Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
- - Help. I'm having an allergice reaction to my tank! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/help-im-having-allergice-reaction-my-26029/)
Help. I'm having an allergic reaction to my tank!
This is odd.
I installed a new thermometer and new mag cleaner on my tank tonight. Admittedly I've been bad and haven't been in the tank for quite some time (except for a couple seconds a day to feed). Today I also did a levels test. So I was with the open tank for a while tonight. About 5 minutes into the work I noticed I was starting to have an allergic reaction to something in the tank. Algae has begun growing on the underside of the hood, but it's not very prevelant inside the tank. I was exposed to algae, fish flake, freeze dried bloodworms and the water in the tank. No idea what is causing the allergies. My breathing is labored and I can feel my larynx tightening up, kind of have a bit of a wheeze like an asthmatic would. It's pretty damn uncomfortable. Any ideas?
Here are my levels which don't seem good. I've only used the paper test strips in the past. This time I used the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. All my fish seem happy and healthy and have been in the tank for a long time.
High pH: 7.4
Temperature: 76 F
Here's a photo of the crazy algae growing under the hood, outside of the water.
Wow! That is a lot of algae!
Looks like you have some cleaning up and water changes to do.
A lot of people are allergic to bloodworms. Might want to stay away from them just in case.
Maybe if you just don't handle them and wash your hand after feeding, it would be ok. Not allergic myself, so I would have to do some reading up on the subject.
My fish also enjoy shrimp, krill, and live blackworms, but bloodworms is one of there favorites.
Avoid direct contact with your hands, and try not to inhale the smell. I use the Hakari cubes and pop one into a sauce dish, add some hot water to melt the ice, then use a syphon to squirt the thawed bloodworms into the tank. [I have to direct it at certain catfish that remain hidden in the bogwood to ensure they get fed.] Keep it at a distance from your nose. Sounds funny I know, but this usually works.
how about daphina
Thanks everyone :)
I donated all of my bloodworms today to a friend of mine that enjoys the hobby as well and doesn't suffer from the dreaded allergy.
Last night I did a monumental anti-algae cleaning and a PWC of about 85%. I ended up spending hours on the tank getting it back into tip top condition. I'll take some readings tonight and post them, they should show a difference.....hopefully.
I posted the new test results in this new thread -----> http://www.fishforum.com/freshwater-...03/#post215890
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.