Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   How to feed fish for a week while on trip? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-feed-fish-week-while-trip-259905/)

Stmichaelaa 09-02-2013 01:00 AM

How to feed fish for a week while on trip?

Hi all,
I have a 20 gal freshwater aquarium with the following residents... 1- miniature goldfish, 4-platty, 1-adolescent platy, 6-guppy, 4-ghost shrimp. I use an intank filter. I'm trying to figure out the best way to feed everyone for a week while I'm away. I use flakes most the time and feed twice a day.

Thanks for your assistance
Posted via Mobile Device

thefishgenie 09-02-2013 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stmichaelaa (Post 2931481)
Hi all,
I have a 20 gal freshwater aquarium with the following residents... 1- miniature goldfish, 4-platty, 1-adolescent platy, 6-guppy, 4-ghost shrimp. I use an intank filter. I'm trying to figure out the best way to feed everyone for a week while I'm away. I use flakes most the time and feed twice a day.

Thanks for your assistance
Posted via Mobile Device

Buy some plants like Anacharis then get some week end feeders or something like a autofeeder like this: New LCD Digital Automatic Feeding Aquarium Tank Fish Food Feeder Timer | eBay

Tracy Bird 09-02-2013 05:16 AM

You don't need to feed them, they will be fine for a week.

ChuckinMA 09-02-2013 06:45 AM

I've had very good experience with the Eheim automatic feeder ( ) although I only use it if I'm away for 4 days or longer. Fish are fine going for shorter periods without feeding on prepared fish food. The Eheim unit is battery operated and allows you to set up to eight feedings per day (dry food only).

keepsmiling 09-02-2013 06:48 AM

I agree with Tracy Bird, don't feed them. They will be fine.

Tolak 09-02-2013 09:56 AM

Leave them be for a week. I've heard more nightmare stories over the years that started with feeder blocks & auto feeders than I can count, but none that pertain to several days of fasting healthy adult fish.

Stmichaelaa 09-02-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishgenie (Post 2931809)
Buy some plants like Anacharis then get some week end feeders or something like a autofeeder like this: New LCD Digital Automatic Feeding Aquarium Tank Fish Food Feeder Timer | eBay

Posted via Mobile Device

Stmichaelaa 09-02-2013 04:32 PM

Thank you all for input and guidance. I think I'm going to take from all and try an Anacharis plant and a the following 7 day feeder . My guess is the goldfish will finish of that feeder pretty early on and than begins the fasting.

Thanks again for your quick response!
Posted via Mobile Device

candymancan 09-02-2013 05:58 PM

don't need to feed them honestly.. I never feed my fish 2-3x a day like some people say I feed them maybe once a day or once every 2 days..