Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Fish Store Pet Peeves (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/fish-store-pet-peeves-25976/)

slevin711 07-14-2009 06:19 PM

Fish Store Pet Peeves

Hey Guys!

I am currently a college student but I am doing my best to research starting a fish/pet store and create a plan for the years to come. I would just like input on some pet peeves at fish stores(anything from LFS to walamrt) besides the obvious lack of knowledge with the common employee.

I think I have down most of the basic knowledge of starting a business by now and how to make it successful over time, but being someone who completes everything and goes over every detail, I would really like to hear from some people about ways that most fish stores could be improved.

Thanks in advance guys!

Lupin 07-14-2009 06:53 PM

Welcome to Fishforum.com.

1. Treatment of feeders especially goldfish. They're not even feeders anyway with the heavy thiaminase content blocking entry of vitamins needed by predatory fish.

2. Wrong information from employees.

3. Inadequate supply of meds and food products.

I'll think of more when I come up with them later.:wink:

slevin711 07-14-2009 06:56 PM

What type of meds and products do you see typically missing?

marinebiologist21 07-14-2009 09:20 PM

Not enough food.

E.g- Bloodworms, chopped up earthworms, frozen food, live food, etc.

Also not very good knowledge of the compatibility of fish.

dramaqueen 07-14-2009 09:33 PM

Always being out of stuff I need. And as Lupin said, giving wrong info to customers.

JohnnyD44 07-15-2009 07:33 AM

the horrible, horrible way they stack bettas on shelfs like sandbags....i feel so bad for them everytime I see them

and I 2nd the notion of mis-informaiton to customers.

Romad 07-15-2009 08:12 AM

Hi Slevin,

+1 with Johnny D44. Nothing depresses me more than the Betta "death cups". I work outside of Chinatown in Boston and happened upon a fish/video store (red flag already) a few blocks from here.

They had at least 70-100 Bettas in tiny cups in which the only thing they could do was float in the same spot. I'm still upset by it. Some of the betta (pun intended) LFS do marginally betta (hee hee) with these fish as they are in somewhat larger containers/bowls.

Still, IMO, nothing looks sadder to me. Would love to rescue them all.

rgs1975 07-15-2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

the horrible, horrible way they stack bettas on shelfs like sandbags....
Agreed.

love_my_fish 07-15-2009 03:42 PM

I also have to agree about the betta "cups" -- very lonely/depressing.

Even if every employee doesn't know everything, I'd like to know there is at least someone there who does and that those who don't know tell me upfront rather than mislead me.

I actually like it when they ask me what size tank do I have, what fish do I have, what kind of water, etc -- this tells me they are actually evaluating, and if they say no, this fish is probably not good, but here are some others that have a similar look/similar species, whatever, I appreciate that. So I don't feel like I've just wasted a trip.

I HATE seeing the color-injected "painted" fish.

I like to see a variety of live plants and natural decorations -- I'm not much of a fan of pink gravel, rainbow skulls or mermaid cats.

Dirty tanks, dead fish are of course definate turn-offs. I like to see planted/rocky aquariums that provide shelter for the fish.

rgs1975 07-15-2009 03:52 PM

One thing I do like about my LFS is the existance of quarantine tanks. All new fish they get and any fish they suspect of being sick go to quarantine tanks until they are deemed healthy. It's nice to see they actually understand the need and pay attention to it.