Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Fast Growing/Spreading Low Maintence Plant (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/fast-growing-spreading-low-maintence-plant-2597/)

KishFeeper 01-19-2007 02:58 AM

Fast Growing/Spreading Low Maintence Plant

Ok all i need a fast growing low maintence plant (Thats Bushy) i know about Hortworn/ Cambomba's but i want a rooting plant.

Lupin 01-19-2007 03:20 AM

Cabombas have roots but not the hornworts. Elodea densa is also an excellent choice. Try Cryptocoryne species.:) If your tank exceeds more than 55 gallons, Cryptocoryne crispatula is excellent. Otherwise, try Cryptocoryne wendtii and Cryptocoryne becketii. Javan moss are excellent foreground plants. Hygrophila polysperma is also great.

Pls note though that the Crypts can be rather slow growing so be patient with them. In my experience, they can established very fast and become lushy with more leaves spurting out.:thumbsup:

Lonewolfblue 01-19-2007 10:55 AM

Wisteria.....

Aquaticmoon 01-19-2007 12:32 PM

any of the Hygrophila sp.

KishFeeper 01-19-2007 01:18 PM

Cambombas have rhiziods not roots and my swordtails like to rip them up :?

fish_4_all 01-19-2007 02:30 PM

Pearlweed, Primrose, (need to trim it and keep it short to get it to bush out and plant densely), Rotala rotundifolia, Wisteria if you plant dense and keep trimmed, will take over any tank regardless of size if given the chance.

KishFeeper 01-19-2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all
Pearlweed, Primrose, (need to trim it and keep it short to get it to bush out and plant densely), Rotala rotundifolia, Wisteria if you plant dense and keep trimmed, will take over any tank regardless of size if given the chance.

Yea i want the cheapest way to plant my 110 i mean its not cheap :/

fish_4_all 01-19-2007 02:46 PM

Wisteria will take over the tank in a hurry if you give it enough fertilizer. It is a hog and needs to be fertilized to keep it happy. If you want a cheap way to grow a forest, that is it. The others will do it in descent lighting and good fertilizing. I could fill a 55 gallon with my primrose in about 2 months, pearlweed, 3 months although my fish tend to uproot it alot.

How many watts do you have and what type lighting and what kind of substrate? Substrate won't matter as much but the wattage may.

Crypts will do it too if you get any but Lucens and Pygmy and one other I can't find. They get huge and if under higher light will grow very fast! I can cut mine to the gravel and have no leaves and in less than a month they are larger than they were before.

Lonewolfblue 01-19-2007 08:08 PM

Another really nice crypt that gets big, but grows a little slower, is Crypt Beckettii. And for color, it adds something a little different to your tank. Wisteria does take over the tank if you let it, but it's not hard to manage it. And you'll always have some to send to your friends. :) And as for Hygro, any Hygro will do well too, and do grow really fast if you have decent lighting.

herefishy 01-19-2007 09:31 PM

Java fern. Just give it something to root to, like a peice of wood, standback and watch.