Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Platy Pregnant? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/platy-pregnant-25874/)

Guppyluver4ever 07-11-2009 05:17 PM

Platy Pregnant?

She lives in a tank with a male platy, and today i noticed her hiding in a cave and would get mad at just about any fish that came in her cave, she is a little bit chubby, but she has no gravid spot, at least not a black one.

And I was wondering:
How many fry can a platy have?

Thank YOU,
GuppyLuver4ever

zyglet1 07-11-2009 08:26 PM

Platy like Guppy's can have upwards of 90 fry... +/- a few dozen. Platy's also do not always show a gravid spot.

Guppyluver4ever 07-13-2009 06:31 AM

Thank You

Ok she is definetly pregnant, so now i have a few questions
1. Im letting her give birth just in the tank, so then the few fry that survive the night in the big tank Ill keep. I have a 1 gallon currently with 6 day old guppy fry, could the platy fry go in there with the guppy fry, or will the guppies eat them?
2. Do platy fry eat the same thing as Guppy fry, as in the crushed powder flake food?

Ok thank you to anyone who replies!!!

Oldman47 07-16-2009 06:48 PM

Your platy fry will be fine with week old guppy fry and have similar diet needs. Don't forget to do lots of big water changes if you want fast growth.

Guppyluver4ever 07-22-2009 10:38 PM

Thanx for the info!!!

R u sure, now the guppy fry r about 2 weeks old and the platy looks like shes going to pop soon, so r they still ok to put all fry together?

Another question, wouldnt big water changes be bad at such a young age, i do small water changes once a week?

southafrica1001 07-23-2009 07:09 AM

I would think the fry would be ok together =D.
Just another point sometimes the gravid spot it platy's is more of an orange colour. When I kept mickey mouse platy's I usually found the gravid spots to be more yellow or orange rather then black.
Good luck C=

Guppyluver4ever 07-23-2009 02:29 PM

KK Thanx guys!

Oldman47 07-23-2009 06:09 PM

Big water changes quite often are needed if you want your fish to grow quickly. The way we end up heavily feeding fry, the water will turn bad on you in a hurry. The best way to deal with fry is lots of big water changes. An old breeder was known for saying that every time you walk past the tank right to left you feed and every time you walk past left to right you do a water change. That might be a bit too extreme but it illustrates a good practice of plenty of healthy foods and lots of fresh water for good growth.

Guppyluver4ever 07-24-2009 06:05 PM

MY PLATY HAD BABIES!!! So ya, im putting the fry in with the guppy fry. I woke up to them this morning, she definently had more (i even saw the bloodfin tetras with fry in their mouths), but i only saved 7 of them. BUT I AM STILL ESTATIC, so ya tommorow im going to a water change

southafrica1001 07-26-2009 01:09 AM

Congrats and good luck with them C=