Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Electric Blue Crayfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/electric-blue-crayfish-25860/)

MonsiuerPercy1 07-10-2009 10:34 PM

Electric Blue Crayfish

Hi I was at the LFS today and noticed that they had an Electric Blue Crayfish in stock. This really caught my eye, and having just received a 55 gallon, I have room for it. I have a couple of questions on crayfish in general.

A- What do they eat?
B- Will they harm my fish?
C- Are they hardy?
D- Would you recommend them for a community tank?

Thanks for any help, and since the crayfish is 20 dollars, my decision to purchase the crayfish is based solely upon the posts you leave.

MXS 07-13-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonsiuerPercy1 (Post 213835)
Hi I was at the LFS today and noticed that they had an Electric Blue Crayfish in stock. This really caught my eye, and having just received a 55 gallon, I have room for it. I have a couple of questions on crayfish in general.

A- What do they eat?
C- Are they hardy?

Thanks for any help, and since the crayfish is 20 dollars, my decision to purchase the crayfish is based solely upon the posts you leave.

I have the same questions, they look really neat.

MonsiuerPercy1 07-13-2009 12:52 PM

If only someone could answer our question.

FishFreak95 07-16-2009 10:12 AM

A
-
Crayfish are opportunistic omnivores. Crayfish will eat anything, meat, fish, plants, flake food, pellets, fish poop, other crayfish, they will try to eat anything! They are scavangers and hunters

B
-probably will but if you get fast top swimming fish it may not catch them. marble crayfish have a better reputation with other fish than most crayfish, but thats not a
Guarantee he wont eat it. They will eat dead fish.

C
-yes, they can survive many different water parameters

D
-No, The only crayfish you MIGHT be able to use that I can think of that are more safe for community tank are marbled crayfish or Dwarf crayfish.

MonsiuerPercy1 07-16-2009 01:03 PM

thanks a lot

mikelegz 07-16-2009 01:06 PM

my fish look pregnant

my fish look pregnant or are they dieng or just over fed

MXS 07-27-2009 05:05 PM

I heard that the rule is 10 gallons per crayfish but a worker at the LFS told me that I could easily fit one or two into a 5.5 gallon with no problems, what do you think? They aren't too big.

Is it ok to mix an electric blue crayfish with a plain brown one?

How long should you cycle a tank before adding a crayfish?

SuperFishFan 07-30-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonsiuerPercy1 (Post 213835)

A- What do they eat?
C- Are they hardy?

I can give you an educated answer to this, but can you post a list of what you currently have in your tank community? Thanks

MonsiuerPercy1 07-31-2009 05:46 PM

Sure. As I already said it is a 55 gallon. There are: 2 dojo loaches, 12 zebra danios, around 5 cories, and some small pink rainbows. This is what I have in there currently but soon I think I will be mixing it up and getting some new fish and kicking out the danios.

MXS 07-31-2009 08:22 PM

Pretty sure the crayfish might mess with the dojos or cories