Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Filter cartridge life (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/filter-cartridge-life-25850/)

Herky 07-10-2009 05:49 PM

Filter cartridge life

I am unsure about what is actually necessary with filter cartridges. I see some people say that they simply rinse them out and use again until they fall apart, but I've just been tossing them and putting in a new one about every month or so..when the water stops flowing through them readily..the time varies but around a month I just chuck them. Is this bad?

Fishin Pole 07-11-2009 05:43 AM

this is what i do with the few filters i own that use cartridges.........when you do a water change on the tank, save a bucket of your old tank water and take the filter cartridge and swirl it around in the water...........This allows the detrius to fall off the cartridge but will not kill the good bacteria living in it............replacing it every month MIGHT lead to a mini-cycle in your tank till the new cartridge builds up new bacteria to handle the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate conversion...........the one cartidge in my 37 gallon hex has never been changed and that tank is almost a year old...........not changing them every month will save you some money and keep your tank more stable

zombiefish610 07-19-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin Pole (Post 213871)
this is what i do with the few filters i own that use cartridges.........when you do a water change on the tank, save a bucket of your old tank water and take the filter cartridge and swirl it around in the water...........This allows the detrius to fall off the cartridge but will not kill the good bacteria living in it............replacing it every month MIGHT lead to a mini-cycle in your tank till the new cartridge builds up new bacteria to handle the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate conversion...........the one cartidge in my 37 gallon hex has never been changed and that tank is almost a year old...........not changing them every month will save you some money and keep your tank more stable

I agree. I do the same. It's amazing how dark the water gets when i swirl the catridge around in the bucket. It works well. It's definitly a pain to go buy new ones every month. The companies that make them just want you to buy more. jerks.

fishbum 07-19-2009 10:38 AM

What kind of filter do you have?
I use this with all of my penguin and emperor filters,Pond Mechanical Filtration Media: Uncut Blue Bonded Filter Pad
I just cut it big enough so it fits in the filter box of the smaller penguin filters,and with the larger filters,I bought these,Search Results for SuperCartridge
and just cut the filter pad to size,and stuff it in the cartridge.

In the tanks that have my larger,messier fish,I use this with the larger filters to add chemical filtration,Media Basket for Penguin Power Filters (Marineland)

Buying the disposable filter cartridges can get very costly over time.This is one way I have found to cut the cost of mechanical and chemical filtration.

I just rinse out the filter pad once a month of so in a bucket of tank water.I use the pads until they are literally falling apart.

Fishin Pole 07-20-2009 07:08 AM

even a cheaper route you could go is filter floss..........Most LFS's sell it and it can be cut and formed into any HOB filter...............I'm lucky with where i work, i can lterally get pounds and pounds of this stuff and have been using it for years.............It does a great job at polishing the water and catches MOST of the floating particles in the water.....I fill my canister filters with it and when it gets too dirty, i replace half of it with new stuff and retain the old and place in a pair of pantyhose and hang in the back of one of my tanks..........I will always have an emergency sock of bacteria for a quicker cycle on a tank i may set up or if a tank crashes on me for whatever reason........

fishbum 07-23-2009 06:18 PM

Go CYCLONES!!!!!