Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   I have several questions about my tetras! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/i-have-several-questions-about-my-25831/)

Dovienya 07-09-2009 10:58 PM

I have several questions about my tetras!

I'm new to this forum, although I've spent a lot of time researching fish on here and other sites.

About a year ago, I went to Petco and got a 10 gallon tank. I chose 3 neon tetras and 3 white skirt tetras (which are apparently also called white widows, gold skirt, white fin, etc). Almost immediately, one of the neons and two of the white skirts died. When I went back to replace them, a different employee was very knowledgeable (he explained about schooling fish) but also mean (he said I was stupid for even trying a ten gallon aquarium). He tried to make me get cichilids and told me to just flush my other fish down the toilet. I think cichilids are cool, but I prefer the look of schooling fish with maybe a couple of more "interesting" fish thrown in.

I ended up with 4 neons, 3 emerald corey cats, and the one remaining white skirt.

About a month ago, I got a 29 gallon aquarium and have finished cycling it. I added 3 more neons, so now I have:

7 neon tetras
1 white skirt
3 emerald coreys

I know I need more coreys. I would also like to add two dwarf guaramis.

So here are my questions:
1. Should I add more white skirt tetras, since that one is so used to being alone? I assume that instincts will take over and he'll be happier in a school, but I'm not sure.

2. I know I need to add more corey cats, but neither PetSmart nor Petco carries the emeralds anymore. Will they school if I add 3 albino coreys?

3. Can I add two dwarf guaramis? If I have at least 6 of the white skirts, I'm afraid the tank might be overcrowded, but the knowledgeable/rude guy told me that coreys and neons have relatively low bioloads and so I thought maybe they'd be okay.

Thanks so much! I tried getting help on Yahoo answers, but honestly.. some of those folks are just nuts!

Guppyluver4ever 07-10-2009 06:50 AM

I think the corys are fine how they are, and im pretty sure they wont school with albinos.... as for the white skirts, I would get 4 more white skirts, so that in total you have:
5 White Skirts
7 Neon Tetras
3 Emerald Cory Cats

You could add 1 more cory if you found any

With these you would be fine, and no this is not overcrowding it, because the mean guy at the store was right, neon tetras have a VERY small bioload and so do the cories.

P.S. I know the type, there's one at my LFS, don't even get me started, :-)

Byron 07-10-2009 01:10 PM

Common names are not reliable, but with "emerald cory" most often it is actually Brochis splendens. Brochis is a genus closely related to Corydoras, in fact some ichthyologists are suggesting the two be combined or a new genus be established for Brochis and a few of the larger Corydoras species. Nevertheless, Brochis get a bit larger than most regular corys, up to 3 inches, so bear that in mind as the larger the fish the more the effect on the bioload--but I agree with others that this is not too significant in this case. Brochis and Corydoras are shoaling fish and always do better in groups of their own species or mixed (say 3 of each species and 2-3 different species). Just don't overload your 29g tank. The tetras can be more, they also are shoaling fish that do best in groups of minimum 6 but more is even better to observe natural behaviours. Again, just don't overstock the tank.