Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Cories in a Guppy Tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/cories-guppy-tank-258097/)

Aluyasha 08-30-2013 04:15 AM

Cories in a Guppy Tank?
 
I have a 10 gallon with 5 adult guppies and an unknown number of fry. I was wondering if I had room for some cories in there with them? If so, how many and what kind? (I know there are different types of cory but I am not familiar with cories.)
And if cories are a no go is there any other kind of "cleaner" fish I can add in there with them?
BTW, I plan on rehoming the fry when they are old enough.

jaysee 08-30-2013 05:40 AM

I would not keep Corys in such a small tank. Snails would be a better clean up crew.

1077 08-30-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 2912529)
I would not keep Corys in such a small tank. Snails would be a better clean up crew.

I agree with this.
Ten gal will soon be over run with guppies unless all males ,,and cory's usually prefer cooler water than guppies enjoy.
Really ,,,it is tough to call any fish cleaner fish, for these fish will create more waste (poop), and therefore increase the total waste being created each day in the tank.Not many will survive on just scrap's and food's for them Must be a consideration = more to clean ,not less.
Not so much an issue in larger tank ,but overstocked smaller tank's are way more difficult to manage and more fish will just compound the problem's associated with trying to maintain clean water.IMHO
Cory's should have at least 20 gal long tank to be able to keep them in number's they are comfortable with.
Possible exception would be dwarf ,or Pygmy corydora's.

Sylverclaws 09-02-2013 08:40 AM

You will need the numbers fixed and to make sure the water parameters are safe before adding anything at all. There shouldn't be more than five guppies in a ten gallon tank, even a well planted one...well planted and maybe a sixth guppy.

That said, there aren't any cories that can go happily in a ten gallon. The smallest ones, the pygmies, need fifteen gallons, the rest need 20+ gallon tanks.

Once you get the numbers down and make sure your water is safe and stable for more than two or three weeks, you could get cherry shrimp, 10-15 or so if you have a well planted tank, wouldn't do more than 5-6 in a non-planted tank. They're small, pretty little things and don't have a big bioload. Or you could go for amano, ghost or crystal shrimp, or even some snails like 4-5 nerite snails who cannot breed in freshwater tanks, or trumpet snails who will only over-breed if you put in too much food, ramshorns can be neat but risk over-breeding, or a pair or trio of mystery snails.

If you only had five guppies and have sand substrate, which is a must for cories if not given rounded, smooth rocks, you could get five black kuhli or dwarf loaches. They have an extremely low bioload and are peaceful, they'll also feed on algae and scavenge like cories would.

Aluyasha 09-04-2013 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylverclaws (Post 2932361)
You will need the numbers fixed and to make sure the water parameters are safe before adding anything at all. There shouldn't be more than five guppies in a ten gallon tank, even a well planted one...well planted and maybe a sixth guppy.

That said, there aren't any cories that can go happily in a ten gallon. The smallest ones, the pygmies, need fifteen gallons, the rest need 20+ gallon tanks.

Once you get the numbers down and make sure your water is safe and stable for more than two or three weeks, you could get cherry shrimp, 10-15 or so if you have a well planted tank, wouldn't do more than 5-6 in a non-planted tank. They're small, pretty little things and don't have a big bioload. Or you could go for amano, ghost or crystal shrimp, or even some snails like 4-5 nerite snails who cannot breed in freshwater tanks, or trumpet snails who will only over-breed if you put in too much food, ramshorns can be neat but risk over-breeding, or a pair or trio of mystery snails.

If you only had five guppies and have sand substrate, which is a must for cories if not given rounded, smooth rocks, you could get five black kuhli or dwarf loaches. They have an extremely low bioload and are peaceful, they'll also feed on algae and scavenge like cories would.

I never thought of Kuhli Loaches. They are great little fish that I unfortunately have never had the pleasure of owning. So I could own some in a 10g? :)

Sylverclaws 09-04-2013 05:56 AM

Yes you could. But ONLY after you lessen your stock and make sure your water parameters stay stable for at least a week, if not two. All the bottom dwellers like loaches and cories, anything really, needs a stable home or they could die from the fluxes. Currently loaches, and cherry, amano or crystal shrimp would be a best option because you have a smaller tank, and they have a lower bioload. But all require stability.

I've had Kuhli loaches in a ten gallon with my molly fry before. The fry were only there for a few weeks until big enough to go with adults. They're lovely little things, really. They can be a bit shy in the day, and are very active in the mornings and evenings, some even on stormy days. They like to have a little cave to sleep in, and like cories, require sand substrate for their delicate bellies and barbels. I think they're cute, my grandma hated them though. lol They'd always swim around the tank on one side in a circle, especially during storms. My cat loved them. lol Here's what they looked like in my tank. If it plays that is, sorry if it doesn't...I think youtube took it down, whuch they can't do since it's MINE! >/

jaysee 09-04-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aluyasha (Post 2947145)
I never thought of Kuhli Loaches. They are great little fish that I unfortunately have never had the pleasure of owning. So I could own some in a 10g? :)

I couldn't imagine keeping mine in a 10. There's just NO room for them to zoom around the tank. A 10 gallon tank is REALLY small for schooling/group oriented fish. It just is. I believe a tank should be big enough for the fish to be able to swim at top speed, and that simply is an impossibility for kuhli loaches to do in a 10 gallon tank.

Agent13 09-04-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 2913041)
I agree with this.
Ten gal will soon be over run with guppies unless all males ,,and cory's usually prefer cooler water than guppies enjoy.
Really ,,,it is tough to call any fish cleaner fish, for these fish will create more waste (poop), and therefore increase the total waste being created each day in the tank.Not many will survive on just scrap's and food's for them Must be a consideration = more to clean ,not less.
Not so much an issue in larger tank ,but overstocked smaller tank's are way more difficult to manage and more fish will just compound the problem's associated with trying to maintain clean water.IMHO
Cory's should have at least 20 gal long tank to be able to keep them in number's they are comfortable with.
Possible exception would be dwarf ,or Pygmy corydora's.

yep.. They don't really clean...they are adorable and messy and group oriented.
maybe some otocinclus cats? They are small and they actually do clean. But if you run out of algae don't forget to feed them.

Sylverclaws 09-04-2013 08:26 PM

It's true, they would prefer more room indeed, and do like to zoom about. 20+ gallons is really better for them and for cories. But it is possible to keep them in a ten, just not preferable.
As for messy, not even close. They have one of the lowest bioloads of the tropical fish, and don't commonly spread their food all over the place like some when they eat. Cories on the other hand, are quite messy. lol

Otos cannot be kept in those tanks, they have a higher bioload, and they require groups of 5+ and like 20+ gallon, long tanks. You can keep them in three's, but it's about the same as keeping cories in threes. They are also group oriented, and very delicate requiring perfect, stable tanks that are well established.

I DO suggest you someday get a bigger tank, 20-30 gallons or so. Your guppies would be happier, as they also like larger tanks and ten gallons is a very bare minimum for them like it would be for the loaches, and if you choose a bottom dweller, they will be happier as well.

djembekah 09-04-2013 10:11 PM

i'm pretty sure livebearers like harder water than guppies and loaches.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2