Tropical Fish Keeping banner

sponge

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  mullinsd2 
#1 ·
I have been reading up on maintining a good quarantine tank, and I want to know something about keeping biological filtration. It is recommended to have some sort of sponge that is always collecting beneficial bacteria int he main tank that can be transferred to a qt at a moments notice. I only have a hob ps and no sump.... Can a sponge be placed somehwere in the skimmer? Or do I need to go out and buy another hob filtration device (ugly...) and put it in my main display? Hopefully someone has a clever way of accomplishing this without taking away from the aesthetics of the tank!

#2 ·
No sponges in the tank at all, unless you want to clean in every day.

Biological filtration is in the form of your live rock and sand. Don't get anything else.

Sponges aren't even supposed to be used for bio filtration... I think it is mechanical.

A reef's filtration system is powerheads, protein skimmer, live rock, sometimes sand, and water chanegs. Nothing else, unless you add a sump.

#7 ·
Yeah, I have joined probably 4 or 5 different forums, and I have been communicating and learning as much as I can from anyone willing to give some friendly advice. I actually like reefcentral a lot. There are a lot of amazing builds happening that can be viewed on there, and a lot of differing oppinions!

#8 ·
They do have cool builds, but a lot of the people there only see one way of reefing acceptable and won't take anything in. Plus they always have HUGE builds. I'm not saying I don't like big builds, its just that I have never had anything bigger than a 40G, which means I can relate to smaller builds. Plus I know a lot about nano-reefing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.