Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   coral help! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/coral-help-25664/)

mullinsd2 07-04-2009 11:43 PM

coral help!

I will be getting a new light fixture to support corals in the future, and I was wondering if I should introduce any fish before I do this, or if I should wait until I place some coral in... Also, what are some good beginner corals. I have read some good things about the mushrooms, but also read that they spread like weeds... Open to any and all suggestions.

Cody 07-05-2009 12:59 AM

Well, saying I don't know anything about this tank, I will say no to adding any fish or corals.

Mushrooms and Zoas are great beginner corals. And I don't see how spreading like weeds is a bad thing.

mullinsd2 07-05-2009 08:01 AM

Tank has just finished going through it's cycle (according to what I know about the cycle; amm. nitrite 0 and nitrate at around 5 probably closer to 0) still some diatom bloom going on, but I never went through a big one.... 45 gallon tall, 4 to 5 inch sand bed. Aqua c PS. REgular lighting as of now.. So there are no beginner corals or mushrooms or anything I could keep, this early in my tank's life, once my new lighting is applied to the tank? I guess some people consider them annoying (mushrooms) idk? Thats why I am here! :)

Cody 07-05-2009 01:13 PM

You definatley need lighting to do anything. I honestly would wait longer since you were not cycling with a light. That means you will get another algae bloom.

But you always add the CUC first. After a month or two is a frag of something.

mullinsd2 07-05-2009 08:29 PM

I was cycling with a light; it just was not a very powerful one.

Cody 07-05-2009 10:57 PM

Well additional light will still get you an algae bloom.

I think I worded my last post wrong... I meant to say it is fine to cycle without lights, but then there is often a very large algae bloom when you do get lights.

Once that algae comes, get 1/4-1/3 of your CUC.

mullinsd2 07-06-2009 12:30 AM

Yeah, with the new light I plan to just run actinics at first; either that or get panels that can be removed over time in order to introduce the stronger light slowly.

conger 07-06-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullinsd2 (Post 212366)
Yeah, with the new light I plan to just run actinics at first; either that or get panels that can be removed over time in order to introduce the stronger light slowly.

I don't think you need to worry about doing that. It won't reduce the algae bloom, and there is no livestock in the tank to be "shocked" with the new light. If you had an already stocked tank with fish and corals, and you jumped from PC to Metal Halide lights, then what you suggested above would be a good idea, otherwise you could actually "burn" the corals (so I've heard) and make the fish unhappy until they get used to the new, brighter light.

But since you don't have any fish or corals, I don't think there's anything to shock. And again, I highly doubt that increasing the light slowly would avoid an algae bloom.

Out of curiosity, what light fixture are you going to get?

mullinsd2 07-06-2009 04:22 PM

nova extreme pro. I picked this over the tek light fixture because it seems to be sufficient for the tank I have, and I do not want to pay extra for the tek stand and cooling fans, nor do I want to hang it anywhere. I know the tek is a little better, but I think I will be more than happy with the nep.