Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Cories for 15 gal? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/cories-15-gal-25637/)

adiumroot 07-04-2009 04:52 AM

Cories for 15 gal?

Hi! I'm planning to stock my currently 15 gallon with cories! What species would you recommend, how many, and what substrate to use? I've been hearing that cories require a particular substrate or something.

Also, would it be okay if I plant the tank?

Thanks, guys.

aunt kymmie 07-04-2009 08:46 AM

If I was going to keep cories I wouldn't do anything but a sand substrate. Cories have sensitive barbels and are constantly rooting around for food. So sand, in my opinion, would be the best way to go. I also love the way sand gets sucked up and exits through their gills. Pretty cute to watch.
I know that small sized gravel that doesn't have any sharp edges would also suffice but I've always preferred the looks of sand. Planting the tank would be perfectly fine. As far as the number and species, someone else with experience will give you the info you need. :-)

Byron 07-04-2009 09:35 AM

I second Aunt kymmie on substrate. I've always used gravel because of the plants, but sand is more natural for bottom fish like corys (and loaches).

Plants are fine and a good idea in any aquarium as they are nature's filter and the best filtration in any tank (unless the fish eat them!). Corys will be very happy with plants, as long as there is some open space so you can observe them eating as AK said. They regularly browse the leaves of plants looking for tidbits of food, up and down the leaves endlessly. A piece or two of bogwood would be nice, especially if you can arrange it so there is a bit of a shelter on the front (viewing) side; corys like to get under protection once in a while and feel more secure with it. Just make sure it is visible to you, as corys can become very secretive during daylight and come out at night if given too good a hiding place. Depends upon the species.

Corys are shoaling fish and should always be in a group of at least five. You can mix species, they all get along with each other, but in 12+ years of keeping them I have noticed that they prefer their own species if there are 3 of them, so in a 15g you could have 12 corys with 3 of each species and have four different species for interest, or all the same. Most of them are under 2 inches adult; avoid the few larger species. I would suggest some tankmates, just to make the corys feel secure (having other fish swimming above them does seem to be appreciated). Any of the small SA characins (small and calm tetras, pencilfish, hatchetfish) would work. A shoal of 7 of any of these would be a nice addition to a planted 15g.

adiumroot 07-05-2009 02:12 AM

Will 6 albino cories or 6 leopard cories and about 7 or 8 neon tetras be good enough for my 15g?

willow 07-05-2009 02:55 AM

hi
sounds like a nice combo :)
i agree with the others on the substrate issue,as i have had to change the substrate
in my tank for the corys,the barbels rubbed to almost nothing being on gravel,
after some time of being on sand,they grew back.
i moved them to a different tank that at the moment contains gravel,however i will be changing
the back to sand.
if you are worried about plants being in sand you could always split the tank as i will be doing,
gravel at the back for the plants,then the sand at the front,and you can disguise the line
in a couple of ways,either sillicon a divide made from plastic to the bottom of the tank.
or use decor.....wood/rocks.
:-)

adiumroot 07-05-2009 03:05 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm planning on placing the plants with gravel in a tiny pot with gravel, and then bury or half-bury those in the sand. It looks a bit unnatural, but I don't mind. A few rocks and decor will be able to cover it up.

What other mid-level fish would you recommend? Byron recommended some, but among those, I only find tetras at the nearby stors. I'm not digging them much.

willow 07-05-2009 03:10 AM

hi
what sort of fish do they have there ?

adiumroot 07-05-2009 04:53 AM

Actually, lots of them. I just don't remember seeing any pencilfish or hatchet fish.

Will a trio of livebearers work? I think I'd like to transfer my male kohaku swordtail to the 15g and get him two females.

willow 07-05-2009 04:57 AM

livebarers are ok,i think you just need to watch if they multyply.

adiumroot 07-05-2009 05:04 AM

I've already got mollies in the pond and they multiply like crazy. I just give them away or feed the smallest fry to my bettas.

I also have a pet store contact that will buy the swordtails (but not the mollies) off me, so I've got it covered.