Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Fish Questions

4K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  FDStation152 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

I bought a fish tank for my work, and placed it on my desk, it's approx. 13L (or 3.5 Gallon; I hope thats right - I'm in Australia so we dont use Gallons :D )

Anyway, when I bought the fish tank, I set it all up, and I bought 5 fish.

1 Black Moore
1 Fantail
3 Feeder Fish.

Put all the chemicals in, and measure correctly, and the Water Crystals, and the tank went great.

It was running fine for about 2 weeks, Fish seemed all happy - although I did notice the Feeder Fish seemed to be picking on the Black Moore & Fantail. But generally there were no problems...

2 Weeks later, and the water seemed a little dirty, so I thought (was told usually every 2 weeks you change the water) I would do my first water change. I'm not really good with the Water Change, so I tried my best.Used a Siphon Pump to clean the gravel, and took about 1/2 the tank out, (was told supposed to take a 1/3; but accidently took more out)...

Filled up new water, and put some chemicals in, but I think I put the same amount that I would in the tank to begin with. (approx half a cap which equates to about 18L).. Came in the next morning and 3 of the 5 fish were dead. :cry: Then the final two passed away.

Snail didn't care funnily enough. He kept chewing away.

I called up this Fish Store, to be honest I didn't really like the guy that served me but he did some water testing; and told me the Amonia levels were high. (The water went a strong green).. and said that they are too high and they killed the fish.

He also told me that 5 fish is way too much for a tank this size.

Is this true?

I thought that 3 really small feeder fish and 2 medium size ones would be okay. It didn't seem cluttered. So I'd just like to get some people's thoughts and comments on how you guys clean your tanks, and what not.

He's told me to go home, completely rinse the tank, and set it up again new, and leave it for 2 days. Then get maybe 1 fish, wait a week or so, and then another one. He said that having 5 fish the Tank can't sterlize the bacteria or something and having 5 fish, it's just too much bacteria.

Would really like to get some friendlier people's opinion on my scenario and not someone who wont want to serve me because i'm not walking into his store buying a $500 tank setup.

Thanks for anyone that replies... :D

See less See more
#27 ·
My apologies but I am going to be contradictory when I feel a false statement is being made. While I'll grant that individual experiences may vary due to the fact that every fish is different, I simply can't agree with the general statement that female bettas are as agressive as the males because its generally not the case.

#28 ·
I agree that female bettas probably are not as aggressive as males, but I had a very nasty female betta who had to live all by herself--she was not even OK in a 30 gallon tank w/other (non-betta) fish. Why risk it by getting two females? What happens if they don't get along? I will say though that I loved my female betta--she was great and was very active, I think one female betta (and only one) would be a good choice for the aquarium.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.