Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fish Questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-questions-2562/)

Vivification 01-17-2007 04:08 PM

Fish Questions

Hi everyone.

I bought a fish tank for my work, and placed it on my desk, it's approx. 13L (or 3.5 Gallon; I hope thats right - I'm in Australia so we dont use Gallons :D )

Anyway, when I bought the fish tank, I set it all up, and I bought 5 fish.

1 Black Moore
1 Fantail
3 Feeder Fish.

Put all the chemicals in, and measure correctly, and the Water Crystals, and the tank went great.

http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/807_Picture_5_1.jpg

It was running fine for about 2 weeks, Fish seemed all happy - although I did notice the Feeder Fish seemed to be picking on the Black Moore & Fantail. But generally there were no problems...

2 Weeks later, and the water seemed a little dirty, so I thought (was told usually every 2 weeks you change the water) I would do my first water change. I'm not really good with the Water Change, so I tried my best.Used a Siphon Pump to clean the gravel, and took about 1/2 the tank out, (was told supposed to take a 1/3; but accidently took more out)...

Filled up new water, and put some chemicals in, but I think I put the same amount that I would in the tank to begin with. (approx half a cap which equates to about 18L).. Came in the next morning and 3 of the 5 fish were dead. :cry: Then the final two passed away.

Snail didn't care funnily enough. He kept chewing away.

I called up this Fish Store, to be honest I didn't really like the guy that served me but he did some water testing; and told me the Amonia levels were high. (The water went a strong green).. and said that they are too high and they killed the fish.

He also told me that 5 fish is way too much for a tank this size.

Is this true?

I thought that 3 really small feeder fish and 2 medium size ones would be okay. It didn't seem cluttered. So I'd just like to get some people's thoughts and comments on how you guys clean your tanks, and what not.

He's told me to go home, completely rinse the tank, and set it up again new, and leave it for 2 days. Then get maybe 1 fish, wait a week or so, and then another one. He said that having 5 fish the Tank can't sterlize the bacteria or something and having 5 fish, it's just too much bacteria.

Would really like to get some friendlier people's opinion on my scenario and not someone who wont want to serve me because i'm not walking into his store buying a $500 tank setup.

Thanks for anyone that replies... :D

musho3210 01-17-2007 04:41 PM

YES!!! WAY TOO MUCH FISH!!! I must say, these are goldfish, they require at least 30 gallons for around only 2 goldfish!!! Your 2.5 is terrible for them. Do not buy any more goldfish, whatever you do. I would suggest either maybe 2-3 male guppies or 1 betta. Trust me, goldfish dont do well in that size tank, some goldfish even need a pond! Goldfish grow quite big and they are very heavy waste producers.

Another alternative to this tank is to have a moss/shrimp tank. What you do is grow different types of moss on the gravel bed, maybe add some lumps that look like hills around the back. Once the moss has grown and has a nice thickness to it, you can add some shrimp, maybe around 2-4 small shimp like red cherry shrimp.

Vivification 01-17-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musho3210
YES!!! WAY TOO MUCH FISH!!! I must say, these are goldfish, they require at least 30 gallons for around only 2 goldfish!!! Your 2.5 is terrible for them. Do not buy any more goldfish, whatever you do. I would suggest either maybe 2-3 male guppies or 1 betta. Trust me, goldfish dont do well in that size tank, some goldfish even need a pond! Goldfish grow quite big and they are very heavy waste producers.

Another alternative to this tank is to have a moss/shrimp tank. What you do is grow different types of moss on the gravel bed, maybe add some lumps that look like hills around the back. Once the moss has grown and has a nice thickness to it, you can add some shrimp, maybe around 2-4 small shimp like red cherry shrimp.

:?: Oh okay, so your saying that this tank:

http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/807_Picture_7_1.jpg

Just so you know, these are not 5 Gold Fish we are talking about - 3 of them are feeder fish, (really small tiny fish) and 1 is a Blackmoore.

Is not sufficent to hold a Blackmoore & a Fantail? 30 Gallons equates to approx. 113Litres. That is quite a lot for 2 fish. But oh okay.

I just find 1 fish really boring.

Can you give me an idea of what 'safe' fish are okay to put in? (If I wanted more than 1?)

Lupin 01-17-2007 05:17 PM

A betta or a trio of male guppies will do.:) Boring fish though.:mrgreen:

musho3210 01-17-2007 05:21 PM

its not the number of the fish that matters, its the size. THe oscar chichlid alone requires a tank of around 70 gallons. Gold fish grow quite big. Yes you could try bettas or guppies but i think having a shrimp tank would be quite nice. You could TRY 2 FEMALE bettas, but you have to watch them carefully, if they fight then you must separate them.

Vivification 01-17-2007 05:31 PM

ok.. thanks everyone. :BIGsad:

Vivification 01-17-2007 05:36 PM

Any idea what type of food I can get to Bettas?

musho3210 01-17-2007 05:54 PM

you can buy some betta food at your lfs or lps. There easy to care for fish and they are very beautiful

musho3210 01-17-2007 05:59 PM

do you understand the process of cycling?

Vivification 01-17-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musho3210
do you understand the process of cycling?

No what do you mean by Cycling?

I was going to get 2 Female Beta fish, I was reading up, and some people say that you can get 2 Females Only... (Pref if they have been with each other).

Do you think I should put more plant life and a heater?