Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What to put in 5.5 gallon mini-tank w/ filter/aerator & snails? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-put-5-5-gallon-mini-25617/)

steveh 07-03-2009 03:55 PM

What to put in 5.5 gallon mini-tank w/ filter/aerator & snails?

I've got two pond snails that I found in my bigger tank (I didn't have the heart to kill them!) in a little 5.5 gallon tank, with a hagen elite pump/aerator, and I'd like to put a couple of fish in there. The issue is, I don't want to have to use a heater or a light, which I know limits my options. It essentially just sits in the kitchen right now, and will likely end up on a desk.

I don't want to put something in there that will suffer in any way. Would a couple guppies be too much?

jeaninel 07-03-2009 05:17 PM

Maybe a few White Cloud Mountain Minnows. Although, they are a schooling fish and your tank is a bit on the small side. But they only grow to about 1.5" and like cooler water (64-72F). Or maybe some Endlers livebearers. You would probably want to only get males so you don't end up with a bunch of fry.

ashalon24 07-04-2009 02:11 AM

could always go with a betta

rgs1975 07-04-2009 03:05 AM

I have a similar issue. I just put up a tiny 3 gallon tank in my office at work and have been wondering what to put in it. I thought about the tetra route but I have tetras at home. What I think I'm going to do is put 3 Golden White Cloud Mountain Minnows in it. I think three of them will be ok in there, wouldn't go with any more though and at least with three they can have some of their schooling instinct satisfied.

aunt kymmie 07-04-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashalon24 (Post 211832)
could always go with a betta

Bettas prefer and require warmer water. 78 to 80 degrees is usually what is recommended. I maintain mine at a steady 80 degrees. I like the idea of minnows :-)

ashalon24 07-04-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 211882)
Bettas prefer and require warmer water. 78 to 80 degrees is usually what is recommended. I maintain mine at a steady 80 degrees. I like the idea of minnows :-)

I do not heat my betta tanks (have two) and both are fine...I consider my bettas to be lucky too cause most people keep them in nothing but a small bowl but manage to also live fine so I still dont see a problem here in all honesty.

steveh 07-05-2009 03:58 PM

Perhaps I'll go with minnows then. I just noticed little specs moving around the sides of the tank: looks like the snails made more snails! I guess adding the filter & putting the plant stuff I've been grabbing from the big tank's filter intakes made it a more habitable place. It's too bad they're pond snails, or I'd put 'em in the big tank.

Will I need special food for the minnows? Or would the goldfish food I have work?